Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 931B, D3B steering valve

Welder Dave ยท 2021-11-03 14:09

Took my left steering valve in because it was leaking. Shop said spool was worn and discontinued but could get it plated for about $250. Said new valve was around $3000. They finally called back with the total, $680. It looks like one of simplest valve there is. Does it have to lapped in for a couple hours or something? Think part # is 5G0706. 1986 931B 25Y 1916. On the outside feels like I'm getting hosed but don't know what's involved. Maybe someone can post a pic. to show how simple it is? Roller had been replaced. Guy at shop said the spool was side loaded but I can't see how. Had a leaky valve before after rebuild but don't remember which one. Wondering if 1st shop did a quick fix instead of redoing it properly. Their new management pi$$ed off so I went to this place that was referred by a really good hose and cylinder shop. Just wanted to if it sounds reasonable. Cat side want $1200 for water pump.

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2021-11-03 17:08

    Here's what the valve looks like. Don't know why pic. of just the valve doesn't show up. It's a PIA when it shows all the other crap you don't need. If you scroll down a few pics. it shows up. https://spare.avspart.com/caterpillar/sebp1246/sebp1246024/#SEBP12460244

  2. #2heymccall2021-11-03 17:14

    I got this from parts.cat

  3. #3Welder Dave2021-11-03 17:22

    I'm sure it can be upgraded but at what cost and will I have to change a bunch of other lines and/or parts as well. Does that site show the US cost for comparison?

  4. #4Nige2021-11-19 10:45

    the 5G8120 is a direct replacement apparently. However it uses the same 5G0216 spool that the former 5G0706 Valve Group used. New valve groups are now used to control the steering clutches in D3B Tractors and 931B Loaders. The new valve groups have a new seal that gives better support to the new valve stem which has an improved surface finish. Also, the pin that keeps the bearing in the stem has better retention. Effective with the following Product Identification Number - 931B Loader - 25Y1934. The new 5G8120 Valve Group can be used as direct replacement for the former 5G0706 Valve Group What about a spool from eBay for $49.99.? Not perfect by the sounds of it but possibly an option. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183914459447 Maybe AVspare have one but I don't have an account with them to check.

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-11-19 19:13

    My biggest beef is the place charged based on new part cost and what the plater charged. $300+ to take apart and put back together as well as test is outrageous. I bet it took about an hour at most. Then they didn't even bother to remember which bolts were loose. The bolts are used for mounting it. It's apparently fixed but I'm in no shape to install it yet. I am just worn right out after the transplant.