Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 931B Slow crank, no start.

Dozerman04 ยท 2025-04-01 10:08

The machine will not start. It has a new battery and starter. It seems that it may not be cranking fast enough. It will not start on starting fluid either. Does this machine have any type of preheating system on it? Also the starter was pulled to be tested and I noticed that the case where the starter connects to the flywheel was full of oil. Is that case meant to have oil in it or could the rear main seal be leaking?

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-04-02 02:05

    It is considered a wet flywheel housing but shouldn't be right full. I think the trans. pump is supposed to pick up excess oil. Did you check engine and trans. oil levels? Trans. is normally checked when running but maybe it's way over full. The starter is also "wet" and should have a seal to keep oil out. What is your serial number? I can't remember if the early 931B's used an indirect injection engine and glow plugs. That said it sounds like it may not be turning over fast enough or it's not getting fuel. Is there any smoke when cranking? If no smoke that's likely the problem. My 931B will puff some black smoke on initial cold start. If no smoke I can tell you where to check for fuel blockage that drove me crazy until I realized how it works. Is the machine new to you and what type of throttle lever does it have? If it has the throttle on the trans. shifter you need to turn it higher than slow idle speed to start. I'd think it's the same for a seperate throttle lever. Try at half throttle.

  2. #2Dozerman042025-04-02 09:50

    Yes, this machine is fairly new to us. It does not smoke when trying to start but it will not start with starting fluid either. I feel that it is cranking to slow and I don't see any type of preheating system such as glow plugs or intake heater. It does have the twist throttle and we have been holding it open.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-04-02 23:49

    I'd suspect it might not be getting fuel but could be slow cranking. Could the hydraulics be engaged and that's why the slow cranking? My 931B has an adjustable lift kickout to make loading trucks faster. It works the same as the return to dig feature. You pull the joystick back and it goes into a detent position to make the arms lift. When at the preset lift height it kicks out. Make sure the joystick is in neutral and easily pushes back and forth and side to side kind of flopping around. You could push the joystick forward and to the right and should return to neutral position. I disconnected mine and parts for the return to dig were already missing. Years ago I couldn't start my neighbors 955K because the lift lever was pulled back into the kickout position. You might want to check the governor shaft is turning at the pump. To check for fuel you could loosen the injector lines on top of the pump and crank the engine over. A mechanic said you can do this to help prime the fuel system. Just do 1 at a time. Probably don't have to do all 4. I wouldn't use ether. You first have to determine if it is a fuel issue or a slow cranking issue. It shouldn't need ether unless it's below freezing. You could have bad battery cables and/or a bad ground too.