Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 933 3046

jmmybuckles · 2023-03-26 23:32

Weighing my options. Trying to do a head gasket (First time). Should I find a reman head or have this head cut? And where should I look for a reman head? s/n8fl00188

Replies21
  1. #1Bluox2023-03-27 00:38

    Is the head cracked on # 5 ? Bad Bob

  2. #2jmmybuckles2023-03-27 06:28

    I didn’t see any cracks.

  3. #3hseII2023-03-28 16:38

    Go get it tested at a reputable shop. Doing it once correctly is so much cheaper than doing it twice.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2023-03-28 18:44

    looks like a bent pushrod, just have yours rebuilt

  5. #5jmmybuckles2023-03-28 21:46

    Yes one is bent

  6. #6Mbar2023-03-29 05:40

    What was the reason for bending. Did you pressure check that cylinder before removing the head to check for a cracked piston. Make sure cam and lifters are in proper working order.

  7. #7jmmybuckles2023-03-29 06:19

    Water in the fuel.

  8. #8Vetech632023-03-29 07:42

    YIKES!!!!

  9. #9Bluox2023-03-29 10:44

    Look at the anti freeze in # 5 there home owners. Bad Bob

  10. #10jmmybuckles2023-03-29 11:27

    I bought it from a homeowner. I’m going to change the antifreeze out to the red.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-04-07 00:55

    You should check for antifreeze in the oil. It can take out the crank bearings.

  12. #12Mbar2023-04-07 06:14

    Did the water in the fuel cause the injector to stick open and flood the cylinder causing a hydro lock. Never seen that scenario, just curious

  13. #13Vetech632023-04-07 07:32

    NO

  14. #14Mbar2023-04-08 12:21

    So back to the question of what bent the push rod

  15. #15Welder Dave2023-04-08 14:35

    Coolant in the cylinder and partially hydro-locked or maybe overzealous use of ether.

  16. #16Cmark2023-04-08 18:41

    Looking at that bent pushrod, I would also be looking for a bent connecting rod. Compare the height of each piston at TDC.

  17. #17jmmybuckles2024-06-16 15:56

    Well guess I should had look into it a little more after you said that. After I did the head gasket, and it did the same thing to #5. Come to find out i have a crack in the cylinder.

  18. #18jmmybuckles2024-06-16 16:03

    Now I need to find a block or find someplace in Md to bore it and sleeve it

  19. #19Tyler d4c2024-06-16 16:41

    What part of Maryland

  20. #20jmmybuckles2024-06-16 18:15

    Annapolis

  21. #21jmmybuckles2025-01-26 20:09

    You have a block or know somebody that can repair it? Or a place i can find a good used engine?