Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 933 stuck in 2nd gear

JimP. ยท 2026-02-28 18:00

I am wanting to dig a basement under my existing house. I have a case w7 wheel loader I thought about putting teeth on the bucket and using it but not sure it's up to the task. I found a cat 933 track loader but the owner says it stuck in second gear. Im real handy at working on tractors but I never worked on a track machine other than a case 300 trencher. Anyone know what might be causing the 933 to be stuck in second gear

Replies12
  1. #1Old Magnet2026-02-28 18:29

    What s/n? Likely problem with interlock mechanism.

  2. #2JimP.2026-02-28 18:33

    I don't know the serial number but I have these pictures from the ad.

  3. #3JimP.2026-02-28 20:03

    The owner said it's an 11A series

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-02-28 21:29

    That's an old machine and I'd expect it needs a lot more repairs than just sticking in 2nd gear. I don't know if the top of the gearshift assembly comes off to see the linkage inside. I'd want to make sure everything works before I bought an old loader like that. It might be better to hire the job out. I'd bet that even though Cat is usually good with parts for older equipment there won't be much for an old 933. There was a much newer 933 model in the late 90's or 2000's. A skid steer might be a good option.

  5. #5JimP.2026-02-28 21:40

    Yes I think I'm going to pass on the 933. What do you think about using my case w7 wheel loader if I put teeth on it. We took about 2' off my front yard with it. It will dig way better than a skid loader. One nice thing is it's power shift so it much faster traveling than a track loader. I checked with a couple guys that do excavating but most don't have anything low enough to fit under the house other than a skid loader

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-02-28 22:23

    Some pics. of the W7 and the job you want to fo would help. I don't know of anybody digging a basement with a wheel loader but it has probably been done.

  7. #7JimP.2026-03-01 00:56

    Here is a picture of the loader.

  8. #8Welder Dave2026-03-01 01:39

    Might work but I think would be a little hard to maneuver. You might need an extra wide ramp.

  9. #9JimP.2026-03-01 06:31

    The basement will be a walkout and the ground behind my house falls off real fast so I want to can come in from the long side and I won't need a ramp. If anything the back yard will slope slightly away from the house. I can come straight in and back out while digging.

  10. #10HarleyHappy2026-03-01 10:08

    Should work. The teeth make all the difference in the world, digging virgin ground.

  11. #11JimP.2026-03-01 11:17

    Also I have a backhoe I can use to rear up the ground. I just have to watch I don't crowd it in too far since it will get too high and hit the house. I also have a trencher I could use like a big chainsaw to loosen the ground.

  12. #12Welder Dave2026-03-01 17:43

    Teeth on a skid steer turns it into another machine. Should be a big improvement on your loader too. Don't have to always get a full bucket.