Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 936 loader with a leaking air line.

FWD ยท 2024-11-30 11:13

I have a 936 Cat loader with a long steel tube that runs from the air tank to the front of the loader. The tube a short distance from the tank is leaking as it was covered with dirt and without seeing it, I presume it has rusted in that area and is leaking. It does not appear that the tube can be removed without taking the engine out. My thought is to cut the tube after the leak and adding a flareless JIC fitting to the tube and then running a 1/2" hose in that area approximately a foot long from the tank to the new fitting on the 1/2" steel tube. I looked at Discount Hydraulic Hose web site and they have what appears to be the proper fitting, although it states it is used for hydraulics. What's the thought of going about the fix in this manner?

Replies2
  1. #1stinky642024-11-30 14:45

    Lot more pressure in a hydraulic line than air line. If it'll make a fix do it. Just be sure to secure new line so it doesn't rub through.

  2. #2Simon C2024-11-30 14:49

    I knew a guy that cut the pipe in a better location and had some kind of ferrul with JIC connection added to it with hose. If it holds air and is protected from rub throughs , who cares if it saves pulling the engine. I would do it. Spend the time it would take to do the engine pull, to get your gear in better shape is my suggestion. Simon C