Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 938H diesel knock

Zwelimw · 2024-06-04 14:40

Hello everyone, I am working on a 938h LKM with a C7.1 c/r. It's having a Diesel knock on cylinder number 3, replaced injector with a serviced one and the problem persists. The fuel volume is lower than the other 5 and there's smoke and just a little misfire. I am yet to test harness, it's brittle. machine just over 21000hrs. What am I missing, anyone experienced such in these common rails?

Replies5
  1. #1ahart2024-06-04 18:21

    You say the fuel volume is lower, do you mean when performing a cylinder cut out test? That’s an indication that cylinder 5 isn’t contributing much to the power output of the engine, or at least considerably less. I would get the compression adapter for the glow plug and see what compression numbers you’re seeing.

  2. #2Cliffy2024-06-04 20:48

    Maybe engine knock rather then diesel knock.

  3. #3Zwelimw2024-06-05 01:21

    Knock goes away when injector cut out

  4. #4Zwelimw2024-06-05 01:23

    Will carry out a compression test on it

  5. #5Cliffy2024-06-05 06:58

    Maybe swap injector to another cylinder and see if problem moves. Has it lost its trim file? Bad earth braid on ecu can cause all sorts of issues.