Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 939c

Buddy ยท 2017-03-14 20:27

I have a job headed towards me to remove and replace the engine ( 3046t ) in this machine. The knucklehead ran the engine low on oil, spun rod bearing. Have any of you been blessed with the opportunity of replacing the engine in one of these loaders ? Just was wondering how much of a scuffle I have ahead of me. Any special tricks ? I remember the older machines, having to jack up the rear of the machine to clear the cross spring . This machine is much newer than the last one I replaced.

Replies9
  1. #1wosama931b2017-03-14 21:14

    Back in the day , I have seen the bearing on the piston replaced ,and the engine is ok, if you drop the pan maybe enough room to get the oil pan off. Good luck, sam.

  2. #2Welder Dave2017-03-14 21:27

    Cat will have a detailed procedure for pulling the engine. On my 931B, the trans had to come out with the engine and there's no way to drop the oil pan. Without having the Cat procedure printed, I would have never known the tricks needed to get the engine out. A 939 being hydrostat is likely a little different.

  3. #3kshansen2017-03-15 09:57

    If you can provide the complete S/N I or someone else might be able to get you the "official Cat" instructions.

  4. #4Buddy2017-03-15 15:48

    Serial# 6DS00708

  5. #5Dickjr.2017-03-16 22:20

    Isn't this the same basic tractor as a D5C or G? I wonder if the procedure would be the same?

  6. #6Nige2017-03-17 04:42

    Unless someone who has actually done an engine on a 939 pipes up it looks like (according to the D&A) that the cab has to come off because the engine and pumps come out together.

  7. #7Dickjr.2017-03-17 19:38

    Nige , can you tell if the D5C/G and the 939 are the same basic tractor?

  8. #8Nige2017-03-18 06:45

    D3C/D4C/D5C & 939C Electrical Schematics are the same which would indicate the basic machines are very similar if not identical, but there is nothing like that for the D3G/D4G/D5G so on that basis I would have to say no.

  9. #9Welder Dave2017-03-18 13:36

    My mistake, the 939C is hydrostatic not the 939.