Hello all. New to this forum. I recently bought a Cat41b and with in about 2 hrs of work I threw a track completely off. It appears the track tensioning piston cracked or broke. The tensioning spring has a slight bend to it. I have price a remained tensioner. My questionnaire about removal. If I am replacing the tensioner from the idler to the to the sprocket, im concerned with the tensioner spring. It appears as if I can remove it and the spring will stay under tension but im concerned of the safety factor. I cant move the machinenor i would take it to a shop but it is the woods. Any advice on removal and getting the track on would be very appreciated.
Good that you posted photos. Can you start by posting a Serial Number. (80H-something.?) It makes it easier to look up information. There are guards missing over the recoil spring - pretty obvious really. They do work quite well in preventing large amounts of debris packing under the spring and causing the bend in it that is visible in the photos. Also be aware that the recoil spring is otherwise known as the Death Spring for good reason. Don't go messing with the tensioner/recoil mechanism until you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Last question for now. Can you find the master link on the LH track to enable it to be split.? You may have a crocodile-style link or a press-out style master pin.
80H4021 is the serial number. I am 3 hrs away from the machine to check the track, i will do that as soon as I can. I have the track covers removed on both sides so I could look at what was going g on . I do have them.
Thanks for that info. In that case I wouldn't worry too much about the recoil spring being somewhat bowed. As per the best car salesmen "They all do that Sir." Another question: The track adjuster on your machine is hydraulic, correct.? Your machine was built with crocodile-style master links so unless someone has gone cheap aftermarket at some point it ought to be relatively simple to get the track apart, much depending on where the master link actually is. Sod's Law dictates it will be right under the track rollers somewhere. Cross your fingers it isn't....... Attached some information that may be of use to you.
I have the repair manual and parts manual.i purchased them. The track tensionern is hydrolic and using grease via a zerq fitting. So if im reading the picture you sent., I have the same, the spring can be removed without dealing with compression or decompression if you remove the spring while still in the retainers on each end. Obviously this is my biggest concern and fear.
To access the hydraulic track adjuster components you do not need to touch the recoil spring assembly at all, and TBH I recommend you leave it well alone. The procedure goes something like this, using the REG00957 document I posted earlier:- 1. Split the track. 2. Move the Idler assembly as far forward as possible. (Page 6 onwards) 3. Remove and disassemble the hydraulic adjuster assembly. (Pages 13-15)
Thank you, this helps a lot!
Release the grease from the adjuster first,and try not to drop it