The batteries are resting at about 13 volts and have popped vents and leakage. Might this be a simple regulator replacement? Looks like about $75 for a regulator vs $200 chinese reman vs $600 Wilson reman. Haven't priced an actual Cat alternator, Bosch N3 Its a neighbors machine sitting at my place so I haven't measured voltage yet running
It should just be the regulator. Won’t know unless you check voltage running, which should be stupid high. Or just go for the regulator. If an alternator is needed, I would encourage you to try the Universal Parts guy, so we can see if it’s real or not. Personally, I am hoping his shtick is real.
My 2c. Test the voltage at the batteries with the engine running before firing the Parts Cannon.
How old are the batteries? Any chance they are shorted internally or maybe one is bad affecting the other one?
Looks to be 35.4V at idle.
Regulator.
That will do it.
# 1197311318 OE Bosch Voltage Regulator 24 volt 28 Volt set Point Superseded From: Bosch 0192053010. References: Bosch 0192053010, 1197011000 store.alternatorparts.com vs 9G7567 - REGULATOR AS-VOLTAGE for Caterpillar (CAT) | eBay You will get: 9G7567 - 1pc. Let us know the part number you need. Be assured that you will get your quote ready shortly. We are always on your side. BENEFITS GlobalPartsZone is a one stop solution for your parts needs. www.ebay.com
Does the existing alternator look original.? Can you find any Part Numbers on it.? I can see 6 different alternator Part Numbers listed for 21Z prefix machines. I didn't look to see if the regulator assembly is common to any/all of them. If you supply a machine Serial Number and answer Q1 above (maybe with a photo of the alternator in question) then it might be possible to identify the appropriate P/N for a regulator assembly suitable for the actual alternator on the mahcine.
It's unit 02052
Here's the parts list. The regulator is a 9G-7567.
Just wanted to mention that most likely your regulator is gone as posted above. Wanted to say that alternators charge according to signal voltage ( Battery voltage measured at Regulator ) that tells the regulator to charge or not charge. Some times on older units if the connections measuring the voltage are low the alternator will over charge for a long time ending in component failure. Dirty posts at the battery or a partially failed cable will speed up the process. Simon C
Yes i might try to learn about how to test the signal or sense voltage the regulator is getting. I took the reg off and cleaned the two terminals on it that were hooked to wires inside the alternator. I didnt probe anything in there but checked the running voltage again and got 34V The main switch happens to be stuck "on" so I'll work on that before buying anything
The Regulators are sensing battery power from wherever the manufacturer has decided, and that has to be a clean connection with non-compromised cable or connection. Excitation is also done in various ways, would have to see schematic to see what you have. The output terminal has to have a clean path back to battery positive. If your regulator does not fix it, then you would start to test other things. Have found the connections on the back of some older units that were in need of cleaning. Keep us posted to what you find out. Simon C
Just looked at Niges post # 11 above and looks like you have everything internal on that unit unless I am missing something. You probably just have the large output post connection that goes to the battery positive. All sensing and excitation happens internally in this case. It either puts out properly or it does not. Repair or replace is your choice. Simon C
Called cat and told reg isn't available separately. The ebay one I listed above is $5000 now And I was quite lucky not to hit buy it now . It was 74 bucks yesterday...
Try searching for an aftermarket version. If you plug in the Cat Part Number for the regulator it should throw up some options, like this one......... New 9G7567 Regulator A Replacement suitable for Caterpillar Equipment Buy 9G7567 | No Core Charge | Guaranteed Fit & 1-Year Warranty | Ships Today, Order by 3pm EST | Easy Returns | Discounted Overnight Shipping propelparts.us
I bought one off propel only to be told a day later that its not available. I decided on a budget ebay alternator and robbed the elusive regulator unit right off of it. It looked exactly like the bosch unit and was much easier to replace than the whole alternator. Now running voltage is 28.3V so victory dance is called for. Big picture the alt sits right next to the exhaust and there is a leaking joint in the vicinity. I can see how the regulator might be vulnerable even though it has a nice shroud to live inside. thanks for all the help!
Maybe you can wrap some header wrap around the exhaust? That's what I did for a cracked manifold.
Or you could replace the manifold, your engine will run more efficiently, more boost, quieter, cooler, air filter lasts longer. Less of a fire hazard, I don’t get it, Its a no brainer
It depends on how big the leak is. I didn't want to deal with broken exhaust manifold bolts on mine. Some pics. of where it's leaking might help to determine if everything should be replaced or can be fixed a less expensive way. Maybe there's some kind of seal that can be replaced??
I'm interested since it has a one piece manifold what joint are you talking about?
You can see the proximity of the regulator and exhaust. There is flex pipe that is cracked where see soot in the pic. I assume there shouldn't be flex pipe...
Yes there is a flex pipe some were made as a assembly, some I seem to remember were like that
So not the manifold that's leaking. The flex pipe is very rusty. I thought the flex pipe would be stainless or you can get it in stainless. It's worth changing.
There are different exhaust setups depending on whether the Serial Number is above/below 21Z251. Both are attached.
early Cat Caterpillar 963 Loader 1W0528 EARLY Style Exhaust flex pipe New LOW SN | Finney Equipment and Parts finneyparts.us late Cat Caterpillar 963 Loader 7C7004 LATE Style Exhaust flex pipe New HIGH SN | Finney Equipment and Parts finneyparts.us They are both flex pipe, my assumption was wrong! Another question. Top up the batteries with h2o or acid to replace what was displaced?
Should used distilled water as the plates will corrode. If they were boiled dry, might want to put acid back in but generally, once a battery is filled, it only needs water after that.
I had mentioned the main disconnect wasnt disconnecting so I pried it apart and tried to refurbish it. It cleaned up ok but was still dodgy. I figured out it is a Cole Hersey unit by the logo stamp. Carquest man pulled 3 disconnects out to compare on the counter and I chose the cheapest at $30. It was the same size and heft of the CH but had a cast aluminum body vs the stamped steel. And of course no Cat key slot. 577.3009 MASTER DISCONNECT SWITCH ON-OFF - BIG RIG PARTS 577.3009 MASTER DISCONNECT SWITCH ON-OFF BIG RIG PARTS. High quality parts, competitive pricing, and large in-stock quantities www.bigrig-parts.com made in taiwan...