I recently purchased what I believe is a 941. I would like to purchase some literature for the machine, but I can't read the whole serial no. The tag says that it is a 941. The serial no. appears to be 80H_419. It appears as if the tag was painted over, and someone scratched the paint off, thus removing one of the numbers. The engine serial no. is 78P15379. Is there any way to cross the engine no. to determine what no. is missing from the serial no.? Thanks, RAM
I have a 941 and also have all the manuals and what I see is that the serial #s are 80H1-UP. I would think your serial # is 80H1419. Mine is 80H1387 and was produced in 1969. Blain
This machine has an hour meter. It seems as if I read somewhere that Cat. didn't incorporate hour meters until 72. It also has roll-over protection. There is also a couple of stickers that says 941B, but they could have been added later. RAM
The 941B was produced from 1971 thru 1980. In 1972 ROPS was installed. Serial #s were still 80H but from what I see the it looks like they start as 80H0----. Not for sure on that. Hour meters have been on Cat. equipment long before 1972.
If it is a 941 as opposed to a 941B (and it would appear to be if the plate simply says 941 rather than having the B after it) then the machine Serial Number Range is 80H0001-80H3039. Above 80H3040 the machine was a 941B. So that could make your machine 80H0419, 1419, or 2419. Sorry can't be much help than that unless you have more details regarding the approximate year of manufacture. One thing you could try is to look on the rear side of the chassis (gear case) basically underneath where the fuel tank mounts. The Serial Number for track-type tractors was usually stamped on the frame at that location, it may well be the same with a track loader. If you have a counterwight installed the number (if one exists) may well be hidden behind it.
I take back what I said earlier. It's (or at least it might be) a 941B........... The clue is in the engine number. On older machines up to 80H3883 the engine was given the same Serial Number as the tractor. Newer machines have a separate Serial Number for each. So assuming the engine is the original (and it's a big if for a machine that old) and checking the system again - for a Serial Number range of 80H3884-5702 the corresponding engine Serial Number range is from 78P00001-17689. Your engine S/N of 78P15379 falls into the top end of that range. So that would make it a 941B and the machine Serial Number would be either 80H4419 or 80H5419 which are the only 2 numbers ending in "_419" that fall into that range. I'd still go looking for the stamped Serial Number on the back of the gear case though. That would confirm it beyond doubt.
Sleeve metering came in at 80H4676 if that helps any.
what year would a 80H2365 come out to be? i would have to look for the engine S/N on my 941.
That would be a 1970 machine and would have the D330c engine.
cool thanks for the info. what is the difference between the D330C and the 3304 engine? i was told when i bought this loader that it had the 3304 engine in it. the engine was rebuilt before i got it. i will get the engine s/n and post it so we can see if it has been changed or not. but thanks again for the info.
The 3304 didn't come in until the 941B at s/n 80H3884. The D330c is very similar with 3-3/4" bore. Differences are noticed in bolt ons such as front timing gear cover, waterpump design, fuel filter housings, etc.
I haven't found any more numbers other than the ones that are on the metal plate that is riveted to the right side of the machine fwd. of where you step into the operators compartment. The tag top line is Model 941, Serial 80H_419, Arrange 1V3080. Lower line is Model 3304, Serial 78P15379, Arrange 493801. I assume from your previous post that the missing no. is either a 4 or a 5. Someone mentioned Sleeve metering, what is that? It does appear to have factory installed ROPS.
As per my last post your S/N is almost certainly 80H4419 or 5419. Sleeve metering relates to the design of the fuel injection pump. If sleeve metering only came in at 80H4676 then if your engine has a SM pump it has to be later than 4676, so that would make your machine S/N 80H5419, if it has the earlier type of pump then it is 80H4419. Take a photo of the injection pump and post it here.
If your engine arrangement no. is really 4n3801 then the machine no. is above 80h4647. Bob
Here are some pictures that hopefully will help identify the serial no.
Engine arrangement 4N3801 was used in the 941 from Serial Number 80H4676 to 80H6454. Engine Serial Number 78P15379 is covered in the Parts system in the Serial Number range 80H3884 to 80H5702. Therefore by a process of elimination your machine Serial Number should be 80H5419.
I appreciate everyone's help in identifying the missing no. in the serial no. I suppose that I misunderstood/ I thought you needed to see the fuel pump to determine whether the no. was a 4 or a 5. Now that that's figured out, I need to purchase some literature, since I am not familiar with these machines. I see a parts book that says it is for an 80H3884-up. How far does up go? And the same thing with a maint. manual, it says for an 80H2651-up. Do you think these books will cover my machine.
The Serial Number ranges are as follows: - 80H0001-3039 80H3040-3883* 80H3884-5702* 80H5703-Up* S/N ranges marked * are officially 941B models. If the Parts Book is for 80H3884-Up it should cover your model. 3884-5702 the Engine Parts Book is listed separately from what I can see. From 5703-Up the engine parts book is included in the machine Parts Book. So it would be worth asking if the book you have found includes engine parts or not - it may not. Regarding the Maintenance Manual (is it a full-blown manual about 4" thick or simply the thin Operation & Maintenance Manual?). As the engine changed from 3884 onwards I would say the maintenance manual would probably not cover the engine you have in your machine, although for the rest of the systems on the machine it would likely work. I would look for something newer, same Serial Number range - 3884-Up.
Can someone tell me where to check the fluid levels on a 941B? I know where to check the engine oil, hyd. oil, water and fuel. Thanks, Richard
cat 941 serial I bought CAT 941 s/a 80H02905 what are the books associated with this unit? parts, etc what can u tell me about it? bought from auction thanks
I bought an old 941 about a year ago, ser # 80H2988, so it is close to yours. It has a D330 engine in it & I think they are rated at about 70 HP. The machine weighs about 20,000 lbs. Parts & service manuals can be usually purchased on E Bay. How about posting some pictures of your new machine?
Parts & Service Manuals on eBay are often more expensive than an official new one. There are a few there right now (used ones) for $300. You can get a brand-new one specific to your machine Serial Number for the same price...... https://servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=80H02905