Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 941B Ran out of Fuel and MISC items found in fuel tank.

465stroker ยท 2015-09-14 10:48

First off I ordered have have received the operators manual and 144 page service manual. Neither of the 2 show how any of the 3 questions I have. 1979 941B 70H05540 1. What is the proper way to prime the engine after running out of fuel? 2. My fuel gauge is stuck on full - any idea where to start to fix this? 3. When I inspected the fuel tank prior to refueling I found an approx 2.5' dia x 8" Long screen and also a 3/4" dia x 8-10" long pipe with bend on it . What are they are where do they belong? I would imagine the screen is to go on top of the fuel inlet but pipe w bend? Thanks for all of your help! I just purchased this loader a few weeks ago and its been working great. Only issues are the fuel gauge & hour meter not working

Replies26
  1. #1kshansen2015-09-14 12:44

    I try question #1 I need to apologize for the picture, it was kind of small on SIS but think you can see what I'm saying. In the picture inside the GREEN circle is the vent valve for the fuel system. Open it a couple turns. Next in the RED circle is the priming pump knob. Turn it a bit counter clockwise and then it should pull up. May have to push down a little to get it to turn. Now pump the pump till nice clear fuel flows out of the 1/4 inch steel line behind the fuel filter and below the generator. Then close the vent valve. Might start now, if not I'd crack open a couple of the lines on the pump, 3/4 inch wrench and pump the primer again with governor control in the stop position to get some fuel flow out of them. Tighten back up and it should start. Don't forget to move governor control to run! If still not wanting to fire crack about 1/2 the fuel lines to the nozzles loose at the prechambers and crank over some to get fuel out there then tighten and start. There maybe some other methods but these have worked for me for years.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-09-14 12:45

    Sounds like the end of a fuel nozzle.

  3. #3Nige2015-09-14 12:49

    The screen should be in the neck of the tank. Post a photo of the pipe, I think lantraxco could have it right that it's the end of a fuel nozzle ........

  4. #4465stroker2015-09-14 13:01

    Thanks for the priming tip! I'll post a picture this evening once I get home from work. The screen is about an inch smaller diameter than the neck - I do know its stainless as a magnet would not hold while trying to fish it out. Fuel nozzle?

  5. #5kshansen2015-09-14 13:03

    Just tried finding some info on fuel gauge. From what I see on SIS this machine has a "Fuel Pressure" gauge not a fuel level gauge. As I recall these were strictly mechanical gauges hooked in to a fitting on the fuel filter head. This gauge is to let you know when filter is starting to get plugged and should read pretty high any time machine is running. I recall if the check valves in the fuel system are in good condition they will stay up near the top even when engine is first shut down. The filter/Strainer sounds like the one that is supose to be in the filler neck and it got pushed in the tank by some one a little rough with filling the fuel tank. No real idea on the 3/4 pipe unless it fell off a hose someone used to fill the tank. If you could post a picture it might ring some bells.

  6. #6kshansen2015-09-14 13:05

    Dang it! I have to learn to type faster!

  7. #7465stroker2015-09-14 13:15

    What is SIS and where can I get one? I thought my service & operators manual would be of more benefit.

  8. #8465stroker2015-09-14 13:17

    Also - Is there a site, link or manual somewhere to get all of the filter numbers from fuel, oil, hydraulic, etc? My local CAT dealer is an hour away so buying online helps.

  9. #9Nige2015-09-14 13:23

    SIS is the online Caterpillar Parts and serivce system. You could try asking your dealer to set you up with access to it but be prepared for refusal because you're not a big enough customer to warrant giving you a free pass into it. Maybe your best bet would be a paper parts book, they come up on eBay and similar sites quite regularly.

  10. #10vmack12015-09-14 13:23

    I have ht50 Chinese loader with 485 yangdong diesel eng 40hpt with sauer danfoss hydraulic's anyone know what the GPM on this unit is? 44 series hydraulic motor

  11. #11Nige2015-09-14 13:51

    Is there a Part Number stamped on the screen..? Post a photo of it also.

  12. #12465stroker2015-09-14 15:52

    I'll have some pictures posted tonight

  13. #13dmcschultz2015-09-14 19:48

    I ran my 941B out of fuel once and as kshansen has provided in the earlier posts you'll need to prime and bleed off any air in the line. I noticed when I would pump the primer it actually got harder and harder to pump as pressure built up, noticeable on the fuel pressure gauge. If the pressure doesn't build there might still be air in the line, bleed and prime again.

  14. #14465stroker2015-09-14 20:19

    Here they are

  15. #15465stroker2015-09-14 20:21

    Thanks for the help. I got it started 1st try without issue after priming with all your help. I also clarified fuel pressure gauge works and is functioning great.

  16. #16lantraxco2015-09-14 20:52

    Okay, probably not a fuel nozzle... next guess is whatever piece of scrap was handy when some nimno wanted to siphon fuel out of that tank and needed to push the screen out of the way?

  17. #17Nige2015-09-15 03:10

    As per my previous question is there a Part Number on that screen..? Either way it's goofed because it appears as though someone's poked the bottom end out of it. The correct screen for the fuel tank filler neck is a 8H-3498 Strainer Assembly held in place by an 8H-3497 Ring which is effectively a giant spring clip. From what I can see this is the old-school type of screen that includes provision for a dipstick to slide down the side of it to use for checking the fuel level.

  18. #18Scrub Puller2015-09-15 04:54

    Yair . . . Oh yeh! I remember them, very reliable, not much to go wrong. (wry grin) Cheers.

  19. #19465stroker2015-09-15 10:04

    Sorry no part numbers.

  20. #20465stroker2015-09-15 10:14

    Can anyone list the following part numbers for me? Air Filter Fuel Filter << Right now is Fram P1104 Transmission Filters Hydraulic Filters Any I am missing?

  21. #21lantraxco2015-09-15 12:22

    The part number if it had one was probably stamped on the mounting flange of that screen, sounds like it was gone? It's a good idea to replace the strainer, helps keep the elephants out of the fuel tank.

  22. #22Nige2015-09-15 13:15

    Air Filter - Primary 4M-8047/7W-5389 - Secondary 2S-1285 Secondary Fuel << Right now is Fram P1104 - If it's a spin-on 1P-2299/1R-0750 Transmission - 9M-9740/1R-0719 Hydraulic - 4J-0816/1R-0728 (x2) Engine Oil - 2P-4004/1R-0739

  23. #23kshansen2015-09-15 14:40

    Just a note, check to see if the air filter has been updated to the newer Radial Seal type. They will have black foam like rubber ends. Part numbers on them would be: 6I2499 AND 6I2500. That second digit is the letter "I" not a number "1" Kit to do this is P/N 6I-3828 and runs around $35.00 makes changing the inner filter an easy job, just pull it out instead of fighting 6 or is it 8 nuts? and then having the gasket stick, half of it in housing so you spend time scraping it out. 6I-3828 KIT-AIR CLEANER REQUIRES-6I2499 AND 6I2500, USED TO REPLACE AXIAL SEAL AIR CLEANER ELEMENTS 7W5389 AND 2S1285 TO USE NEW RADIAL SEAL AIR CLEANER ELEMENTS 6I2499, AND 6I2500 INTO EGB-STYLE 11 IN SIZE AIR CLEANER HOUSING WHICH HAS 149.2 MM DIA BOLT CIRCLE MOUNTING

  24. #24465stroker2015-09-15 15:15

    Thanks!!

  25. #25dmcschultz2015-09-15 19:23

    In my parts book the strainer assembly is listed as part number 8H3498, however my parts book is for 80H3884 to 80H5702 which doesn't cover your 70H series. Maybe with this number someone can cross reference it.

  26. #26Nige2015-09-16 02:45

    Same Part Number for 70H machines.