Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 941b steering clutch wear limits

charles walton · 2023-12-17 12:27

I am pulling the steering assembly from my loader because the brake adjustment bracket broke off. It had been welded on by the previous owner and I am going to replace the brake band so I’m pulling the assembly. While I have it out I want to measure my clutch wear and address them if needed. Any tips? SN 80h6700

Replies25
  1. #1charles walton2023-12-17 12:29

    Here’s what I found so far.

  2. #2tctractors2023-12-18 15:17

    The Brake Band is a 720 type.

  3. #3charles walton2023-12-20 14:35

    I can’t find one so I guess I will have to weld this one up. I really don’t want to but that’s all I know to do now.

  4. #4Nige2023-12-20 15:33

    It's a 4V-2239 Band Assembly. Fits all 80H machines from 5918-Up. There appear to be plenty listed on Machinery Trader Parts..... 4V2239 Parts For Sale | MachineryTrader.com 4V2239 Parts For Sale | MachineryTrader.com at MachineryTrader.com www.machinerytrader.com

  5. #5charles walton2023-12-20 16:37

    Thanks Nige. I actually have found one for $400 which seems a little high to me for a used one that will have to be relined but I after looking at the price on Machinery Trader I guess 400 is not too bad. I’m going to weld mine up and if I like the way it turns out I’ll use it and if I don’t like it I’ll just bite the bullet and buy one.

  6. #6OzDozer2023-12-21 05:18

    Have you queried John Parks at General Gear & Machine? He's a gun on steering clutch and brake parts (new and used) and he's parted out a lot of machines. Tractorparts.com : CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT PARTS, NEW, USED, REBUILT, for CAT, IH, AC, JD, KOMATSU,CLARK-MICHIGAN, MASSEY AND MANY OTHERS CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT PARTS, NEW, USED, REBUILT, for CAT, IH, AC, JD, KOMATSU,CLARK-MICHIGAN, MASSEY AND MANY OTHERS. www.tractorparts.com

  7. #7Nige2023-12-21 21:41

    To quote from a couple of posts above - "I can’t find one" . That spells unobtainium to me, not "I can't find one for sale at what I consider a reasonable price" - which was your actual situation.

  8. #8charles walton2023-12-22 18:10

    I actually did try them Wednesday and they didn’t have anything.

  9. #9charles walton2023-12-23 14:05

    When I first posted I had not found one yet. Now I am hoping to find someone that has one laying around for a price like before Biden came along.

  10. #10941oldB2025-06-22 10:17

    Gentlemen, I think I have a very similar problem with my 941B. I would like to pull the top cover off and repair, but I am concerned with how much of the surrounding tractor do I need to remove to gain access. It looks as though I can remove the batteries and lift the cover up through the seat opening. Trying to assess how much of a problem this repair is. Thanks for any advice.

  11. #11941oldB2025-06-23 10:38

    Question for all: When removing the main cover off the clutch packs, do you need to disconnect any linkage to the brake bands first?

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-06-23 11:43

    there are 4 1/2 bolts on top of clutch cover on each side remove them and brake rods on levers be careful with puller bolts removing cover it you cock it too much you can crack the cover at dowel holes

  13. #13Nige2025-06-23 12:00

    See if the attached gives you any clues.

  14. #14941oldB2025-06-26 08:26

    Thank you all very much! I have not removed the cover yet. I have something strange happening. I am going to get a small camera in there to take a look around. I cant reason why the right brake pedal suddenly went to the floor. After some distant inspection through the rear cover, everything appeared to be moving correctly. I adjusted the brake, and with a very short drive, it appears to be functioning properly. However, I am concerned that my adjustment will fail again. So before I run the machine, I really want to see if part of the linkage inside has failed or is failing. Have any of you had anything like this? I originally thought I had a breakage similar to Mr. Watsons photo. Yet, the brake tightened up when adjusted and worked. Thanks!

  15. #15Welder Dave2025-06-26 14:15

    In the overall scheme of heavy equipment parts, $400 is cheap! Get your steering clutches rebuilt with new brake bands and you're probably looking at $4000 a side!

  16. #16941oldB2025-07-01 08:41

    Anybody have a good source for the tilt hydraulics seals? After I thoroughly checked the brakes and started using the machine, I blew out the bucket tilt seal trying to pop up a stump.

  17. #17Nige2025-07-01 08:53

    Try posting a Serial Number. It helps to look up Part Numbers and once you have those you can go searching for both original or aftermarket seals.

  18. #18941oldB2025-07-02 09:12

    Thank you ! The serial number is 80H3977. I could use both, the tilt and lift seals. I also see in some other information the cylinders inside diameter could be either 3.985 or 4.000" depending on the part number of the cylinder. Where on the cylinders would I find that number? I would rather order the seals prior to taking it apart and measuring. Thanks!

  19. #19Nige2025-07-02 09:29

    TBH the difference between 3.985" or 4.000" would make no difference to the seals. The best I can suggest is two things. This would apply to both lift and tilt cylinders. 1. Look at the top of the barrel close to the barrel/head joint for a stamped data plate in the area of the red arrow that will have the cylinder Part Number on it. 2. If you find nothing look at the head itself for a Part Number cast into it (blue arrow)

  20. #20941oldB2025-07-02 14:25

    Thanks Nige! I got a 6J5522. When I looked it up, the description simply read "plate". So it looks like I will need to tear it down and measure prior to ordering. Appreciate the help!

  21. #21Nige2025-07-02 14:29

    Did you look for any numbers cast into the heads of the lift/tilt cylinders.?

  22. #22Nige2025-07-02 14:43

    A bit of further research reveals that it doesn't matter what Part number of cylinder you have the seal kit Part Number is the same. the numbers below are for STD size cylinder barrels. There are no oversize kits. Lift Cylinder - 241-0901 (breakdown below) Tilt Cylinder - 241-8925

  23. #23941oldB2025-07-03 08:33

    Thank you for all the research Nige. Do you have all this stuff hard copy, or do you have an on-line internet source? I got a large amount of land clearing yet ahead of me, and I know I will likely break something else. So I'd rather not be a burden, but I sincerely do appreciate the expert help you have provided! I have ordered the seal kit. Once here, I will replace. Thanks!

  24. #24Nige2025-07-03 08:54

    I just download it in pdf and delete it as soon as it is posted up. With a machine the age of yours it might pay you to invest in a Parts Manual. There are various ones for an 80H machine depending on Serial Number but the one you need is UEG0680S covering Serial Numbers from 3884 to 5702. The publication is still available from Cat in all three forms listed below. You may be able to find a used paper copy somewhere in the internet for less.

  25. #25941oldB2025-07-03 09:09

    Wow! Thank you Nige!