Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 943 Oil Cooler Leak/ Cleanout

sealark37 ยท 2015-10-10 09:40

Hello Gents- Some months ago I discovered some discoloration of the engine (3204) oil. I drained the oil, which looked normal. The service manual says to check the oil cooler for leaks. When I removed the cooler, there was fresh antifreeze puddled in the oil passageway. I just installed a new oil cooler on the engine, and I have questions about the procedure and mix of Butyl Cellosolve in the engine oil to purge any remaining antifreeze from the crankcase. Some state a 50/50 mix with 10W motor oil to run 30 minutes to an hour at high idle, then drain and change filter and refill for service. The service manual says to fill with a new filter/oil and go to work, skipping the Butyl Cellosolve. It is obvious that I had a small amount of contamination, but I do wish to be conservative and eliminate the chance of engine damage. I would appreciate any input that you have on my problem. Thanks, and Regards, Clark

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2015-10-10 09:49

    Haven't used butyl cellusolve for years. Nasty stuff and not to be taken lightly........ Before going through the cleaning procedure for the engine oil system that is designed to clear out any glycol that might attack the lead-tin overlay of the cranckshaft bearings it might pay you to drop the oil pan and actually have a look at the bearings. If you had sufficient coolant in the oil to discolour it then there was probably enough glycol in the engine oil already and the crank bearings are already damaged.

  2. #2sealark372015-12-21 20:43

    I finally completed the replacement of the oil cooler core. Ran the engine for 30 minutes with a mixture of 3 gallons of 10W oil and one gallon of Butyl cellosolve. Carefully drained the crankcase and changed the oil filter, filled with 4 gallons of Rotella 15W40. The drain oil looked pretty nasty and contaminated. Since then, I have run the tractor for several hours with no indication of coolant in the oil. It appears that the service manual troubleshooting sequence is correct. Regards, Clark

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-12-21 21:39

    I would change the filter only again after a few hours. The chemical will make the filter paper mushy. Later Bob

  4. #4sealark372015-12-22 08:38

    Hey Bob- Thanks for the tip. Will do. Regards, Clark