Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 943 rear belly plate

Aussie Gold ยท 2013-04-05 09:58

My Cat 943 doesn't have rear belly plate and the underside hoses and track motors are in danger. I need a new plate or get one made. Does anyone have a picture or schematics drawing that I can use as a pattern please. Nobody seems to able to even find a part number for the belly plates - not even Caterpillar! I've seen the fittings for the plate under the machine, I just need a plate or the dimensions. I can't measure it as I'm about 800 miles from the machine. It's in the bush and I'm at home in Perth, Australia. Thanks, AG

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2013-04-05 11:15

    Serial Number of the machine would be a good start ............

  2. #2Bob/Ont2013-04-05 17:48

    Oz, cut a 3/8" plate to fit opening. Need to cut a bit long as you need to bend it up then flat at the rear and weld a piece of rod out each side for hinges at the front. Cut bolt holes about 1"dia and use spacers and heavy washers on bolts. Later Bob

  3. #3Aussie Gold2013-04-05 20:42

    31Y01431. I'm expecting big things from you now,Nige! AG

  4. #4Nige2013-04-06 14:46

    Here you go ............ not being familiar with your machine I'm not sure which guard is the front and which is the rear and the parts drawing does not indicate which is the front of the machine. You'll obviously know that. Both 8G-7184 & 8G-7176 have been discontinued by Cat therefore your local dealer should be able to get drawings for whichever one of the two you need so that you can have one fabricated.

  5. #5Aussie Gold2013-04-06 20:13

    Thanks Nige. I'm impressed:notworthy I have a mate in Caterpillar who may be able to get the dimensions for me. They couldn't find the part in the books in Australia but they may get the dimensions from Cat USA. Thanks again, AG

  6. #6Nige2013-04-06 20:33

    Which just goes to show that old age & cunning will beat youth and exuberance any day of the week .......... Because they're described as "Guard As." that indicates there's a list of piece parts all of which are welded together to construct the final item. You'll need the print of the Guard As. and prints of all the piece parts to manufacture one. Taking a gamble that the smaller of the 2 guards is the one you need, here's the list of piece parts that make up the 8G-7184 Guard As. 2 x 7P-7416 Plate 2 x 7P-9405 Plate 2 x 8G-1156 Plate 2 x 8G-7179 Plate 2 x 8G-7180 Pin 3 x 8G-7183 Plate 1 x 8G-7185 Plate 2 x 8G-7186 Plate

  7. #7Aussie Gold2013-04-13 10:14

    Nige, Your assumption is correct, the smaller of the 2 plates is the rear belly plate. My mate in the bush crawled under there. Now all I need is the dimensions either from Caterpillar or I'm going bush in a week or so and I'll measure it up and see what's needed. Any idea if Caterpillar would be able to supply the dimensions etc? Thanks, AG

  8. #8Nige2013-04-13 11:23

    They should be able to. As I said the guard is listed as "discontinued" in the system therefore it ought not to be available as a spare part. If that's the case and they can't supply them it behooves them to supply dimensions so that a customer can make his own.

  9. #9Aussie Leroy2013-04-14 05:47

    Gold; Looks like crawl underneath with a big lump of cardboard pencil and scissors, also couple of cans then 1 hour templates done around to old mates make a newie,All the best Leroy

  10. #10jmoney862013-04-14 23:47

    I'm sure you've already thought of this, Aussie, but if not, do you guys down under have any luck buying salvage parts? I've bought several items for my 943 off of salvage machines here in the states. Just curious if you had tried that or not...