Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hour meter on a case 850b

Beer man ยท 2013-04-05 17:51

Replaced the hour meter on my case 850b. All went well....I thought. Meter worked fine...one small problem is that the meter runs even when the engine is not running. Is there a switch on the engine that may be sticking? Reaching for straws!!

Replies11
  1. #1alrman2013-04-05 18:48

    There should be an engine oil pressure switch located behind your dash. This allows the hourmeter operation & alternator charging to happen only while engine is running :drinkup

  2. #2Beer man2013-04-05 19:58

    What would cause the hour meter to continue to run when the engine isn't ?

  3. #3alrman2013-04-05 19:59

    You have it connected to a constant power source ..... how much beer is involved in this repair??

  4. #4Beer man2013-04-05 20:04

    Always beer involved!!!! I disconnected the old non- functioning hour meter and plugged the new one in. If the previous owner didn't screw with the wiring ( I noticed the hour meter was a replacement ) is there any other possibility other than a direct wiring job?

  5. #5alrman2013-04-05 20:16

    This is what it is supposed to look like - switch in red ; hourmeter in green & wires in between

  6. #6Beer man2013-04-05 20:46

    Where might the oil pressure switch be located? On the top of the engine or??? Thanks for your help!

  7. #7alrman2013-04-05 20:59

    There is a rectangular plate, between the bonnet & operator grab rail..... directly above/behind the dashboard. It lives under that panel.

  8. #8Beer man2013-04-06 08:44

    Thanks! I'll be on that on my day off.

  9. #9Beer man2013-04-07 16:50

    I found the oil pressure switch and the hour meter is wired correctly. Is it possible that the switch is stuck on? If so is that switch particular to Case or could I find one at an auto parts store?

  10. #10alrman2013-04-07 16:54

    Beer man - first tool required by anyone undergoing any sort of electrical repair- a test light ....... Yes, the switch maybe stuck & yes, you can buy one anywhere

  11. #11Beer man2013-04-07 16:57

    Thank you. I feel confident that is the problem now that you've given your insight.