I have a CAT 950, It has been setting for some time and when I went to move it I put it in forward or reverse and it wouldn't move, in Neutral it moves forward. The linkage seems to be set right. Anyone have any suggestions what to check or adjust?
Some more details regarding what model it is, plus maybe a Serial Number would help.
It's a Caterpillar 950 loader Serial number 43J4297
Got any oil in the transmission?
That's a good first step for sure! Not moving in gear but moving in neutral does not sound good! Could be a failed clutch. Might be an idea to remove the oil filter and magnetic strainer to look for junk. No first hand knowledge of a 950 but would expect the magnetic filter to be the same as on say a 966C, Look for a 4 inch square cover with four 3/8 in nuts holding it on, probably on top of the transmission/converter area behind cab??
My serial number book shows that machine to be a 1973 which probably makes it an A or B model. Do you have the the two levers on the left side of the seat for shifting the ranges?
John, spent sometime on SIS and the only controls they show for the 85J is the single lever, rotate for range control, on the steering column, but SIS is sometimes lacking when it comes to the older equipment! It has been years since I saw one of those controls with the two levers to the left of the seat for the range controls. We had some of the 966B's that were that way. Didn't you have to have two of the levers engaged at the same time? Seems like there was one for 1st and 2nd and the other for High and Low?? Was there also a neutral in one or both of them?
I think PacMech posted a 43J serial number. One place I worked had a 950 and a 966 with the two levers and they were set up that way. As I recall the high low range was shifting a set of gears and the two speed range was a couple of clutch packs. Ran the machine in low range when digging and high range when traveling down the road. Both machines had the old tube type canopies and all that spaghetti hydraulic tubing that bolted to the hydraulic tank and would through the middle of the machine. I hated having to fix both of those machines but I went by that place a couple of years ago and both were still being used.
His serial # is a single lever twist grip control 950A. The 2 speed with hi lo range ended in about 1967-8.
Not sure where I came up with the 85J prefix must have been a "brain fart!" Still think if it was mine I would start first check oil level and then move straight to the filter and magnetic strainer. If both of them look good check pump output pressure then maybe remove the control valve and give it a good cleaning. Paying very close attention to the small orifices in the valve spools. Surprising how small a little piece of crud can stop one of them dead. Then with control valve off the planetary housing use shop air to try applying the various clutch packs.