I have a 1963 Hough H50B Gas Job, and I want to do a transmission service on it since it hasn't been done in the 15 years I have had it. Does anyone know a part # or filter that work for this transmission I could use? Doesn't matter what brand filter it is. I know its a paper cartridge style filter. Also how often should the planetary hubs be serviced, drain and refilled? I Know I haven't serviced them in the 15 years Ive had it. And who knows if it was done before I got it. I estimate this machine has between 2000 to 4000 Hours on it. Meter broke before I got it.Thanks any other tips or info on this machine would be appreciated.
Best bet on the filter is to remove the cartridge and hope there is a number on it. The hubs are over due for a oil change. I use 140wt in my 65C.
Thanks for your input JTWAT. I will get on the servicing of the hubs. Hopefully I can get the plugs to crack loose. I've been only successful with 2 out of the 4 plugs so far. Been spraying them with penetrating oil. There really rusted on there. Further researching for the transmission filter I think I found a Wix Filter #51136 that might be the right one for this transmission.
My Trojan loader of about the same age as your Hough says use 90W in the planetary s - Up here in NE where it was 2F yesterday 140 won't pour out of the can, it's just too heavy. The differentials take the same oil, i'd change them too, book says every 1000 hours, you may as well buy a 5 gal pail & do all of it. After a torch, the best rust remover i've found is PB Blaster. Worst case you'll have to drill them out and rethread, have the plug on the bottom if you do, then flush the heck out of them to get all the chips.
Thanks for the response Mike Van. Yeah a little heat would definitely take them off. Which I might end up doing, reason I haven't is there is a rubber O ring on the plug. Which can be replaced if I end up using heat as a last result. Yeah I know 75-140 syn. is in both differentials right now. Also how do you still get parts for your old machine?
This place http://www.minnpar.com/ has some old Trojan parts still, and a few seals i've needed they've spec'd out & found for me. Give them a try if you need something -
Just to update I finally did service the planetary hubs and it was a good decision. Very Dirty sludge like fluid came from the rear planetary hubs and the magnetic drain plug had some fine metal dust from years and years of subtle wear. The front planetary hubs were not as bad. I also serviced the transmission filter and that was very dirty as well and found a brass piece inside the filter. 3rd gear is blocked by a bolt up in the cab so you cant go into it. So I'm thinking maybe that piece has something to do with 3rd gear not working since we've had machine. Now I want to clean suction screen in transmission anyone know where that is?