Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950 won’t start

Sheepguy99 · 2025-04-21 19:11

Hello, I’m new to the forum and new to owning a loader so this may be common sense to most. I recently bought a 1967 Cat 950 SN 58H368. I had it running with a boost but today I put new battery’s on it and can’t seem to get it to fire up. It will turn over but won’t start. My initial thought is it should get a fuel filter, but looking for advice on what else to look for. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2025-04-21 19:25

    Have you done any maintenance work on the fuel system at all since buying the loader.?

  2. #2Sheepguy992025-04-21 19:31

    No I was actually trying to move it closer to the shop to change fluids.

  3. #3TheIrishStone042025-04-21 21:26

    Are you getting any smoke out of your exhaust while it’s turning over?

  4. #4Sheepguy992025-04-21 21:28

    White smoke when it’s turning over.

  5. #5cuttin edge2025-04-22 02:25

    Did you push the fuel pedal down. I'm guessing you pulled it up to shut it off

  6. #6Sheepguy992025-04-22 06:58

    I will have to check that. Thanks

  7. #7Dave Neubert2025-04-22 17:01

    Did you preheat the glow plugs. For one to two minutes

  8. #8Sheepguy992025-04-22 18:26

    I held it on for almost a minute and the switch started to smoke.