Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950E

WoodBoy · 2026-05-12 16:20

I Have a 950E , serial number 22z03738, that will not pull in 2nd gear. 1st gear pulls fine, if I shift to 2nd while in motion, it will shift and pull, but if I get into soft dirt or an incline, it will stop pulling. 3rd gear seem to pull fine. I would say taking off in 3rd gear from a dead stop is about equivalent to pulling off from 1st gear.

Replies6
  1. #1komatsukid2026-05-12 19:07

    Check pressures? Cut open filter? Fluid level?

  2. #2WoodBoy2026-05-12 19:08

    I havent, I dont have a way to check the pressures. I put a new filter in it and cut the filter open and didnt notice anything that stood out. Fluid level is good

  3. #3Nige2026-05-12 19:18

    Try pulling the magnetic screen on the transmission suction side and see what you find. What colour is the fluid. Clear & bright or dark & cloudy.? Does the fluid smell burned at all.?

  4. #4WoodBoy2026-05-12 19:27

    It was definately darker. How is the screen accessed?

  5. #5Nige2026-05-12 19:51

    Dark oil is NOT good news. Take a good sniff at it to confirm it's burned. Sorry I don’t have access to the O&M Manual to show the procedure for accessing the screen but it is usually located behind a 3 or 4-bolt cover somewhere on the transmission transfer case. You need Cat Publication reference SEBU6244, for machines S/N 22Z3189-Up, which can be downloaded from Cat for $52. Alternatively buy this one from eBay for $19. A Parts Manual would not go amiss either. SEBP1757 covers all 22Z-prefix machines from S/N 3189-Up, which includes yours. Here's one for $30 on eBay

  6. #6Deimos2026-05-13 04:07