Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950F series 2 wont engage forward nor backward ,just sitting comfortably

latiff" · 2020-08-31 03:21

This machine was bought sitting idle for about a year,but the engine is excellent and it was loaded onto the low bed and also driven for half a kilometre to sand dump it should work in. Only that 2nd and 3rd gears weren't engaging. The operator tried to load the bucket and it crippled right there. 8TK01724 All 6 solenoid have been changed before I got here. Any suggestions?

Replies28
  1. #1kshansen2020-08-31 11:30

    Deleted due to repeated information

  2. #2kshansen2020-08-31 11:47

    I sent you by private message / start a conversation the trouble shooting information off SIS. Might also be helpful to know what you have available to work with as regards things like Cat ET and pressure test tooling or books.

  3. #3latiff"2020-08-31 12:03

    Thanks, I don't have ET but I tested the shifter and only the battery + to it has 24 volts, while I engage it in F/R ,1234 there isn't voltage on any other wires. I had thought I'd see voltage move position as I select gears.

  4. #4latiff"2020-08-31 12:10

    F06 636 F03 168 F04 190 F08 248 F02 365 F02 362 F06 362 F05 362 F02 621 F02 627 F05 631 F06 632 F06 634 F05 633 F05 635 F02 636 F02 668 F02 680 F02 688 These are the errors codes the ECM is displaying. Could it be a faulty Ecm or shifter?

  5. #5Nige2020-08-31 13:25

    Scroll through that list of codes again. Note for how many of them the "SERV CODE" icon lights up. Those are the ones you have to worry about right now because they are the Codes that are active. All the others in the list were there at some time in the past but are not there now. Also have a read of the Click Box thread Page 3. You can erase Logged (non-active) Codes with nothing more complicated than a couple of short lengths of automotive wire. HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6latiff"2020-08-31 13:34

    Thanks,I'll check tomorrow or next. Am 600km away from the machine

  7. #7kshansen2020-08-31 13:38

    Then you will need a bit longer wire! Just joking be sure to let us know when you are able to do some more checking! I personally don't have any direct experience on a 950F but at least I can try to search for information on SIS for you. Nige, just so you know I have sent Latiff a PDF copy of the SENR5916-01 trouble shooting information for this 950F

  8. #8Nige2020-08-31 13:44

    Narrowing the list down to what Codes are Active at this time is really the first step in troubleshooting the problem. I can see a lot of familiar Codes in your list, but I'd bet money they a large percentage of them are not active. Also when it comes to Troubleshooting Codes, the diagnostic procedure will only work when the Code is active.

  9. #9Nige2020-08-31 13:58

    Ask someone to get a Part Number from the transmission control (shifter).

  10. #10latiff"2020-08-31 14:01

    105-0154 Got it along side the serial number

  11. #11latiff"2020-09-02 13:55

    So I travelled to the site yesterday with another transmission shifter that was parted out from another machine, installed it and the machine now engages all 4 gears in both forward and and reverse. Nige, you were right. There wasn't any service code,all were logged codes except for F02 621(down shift switch data erratic,intermittent or incorrect). That's probably because the machine wasn't equipped with a down shift switch. The only issue now is that the machine becomes slow after about one hour in both forward and reverse and in all gears wouldn't climb a little heap of sand. But if you switch to neutral and wait for about 5 minute it could climb a little heap of sand and then I wouldn't after that,but selects all gears perfectly. And if you turn her off for about an hour she'd work perfectly for about 20 minutes again before becoming lazy. Could it a transmission pump issue? What's the maximum pressure of the transmission pump?

  12. #12kshansen2020-09-02 14:38

    Attaching some info on trans. pressures. Just a thought have you pulled the suction strainer to be sure there isn't something on it causing a restriction? Or maybe the cover seal could be leaking air? Or a problem in the suction line from case to pump?

  13. #13Nige2020-09-02 17:34

    I suggest to read the Click Box thread and use the "2 pieces of wire trick" to erase all the Logged Codes. It will prevent more heartache further down the road. Do you have any idea what type of oil is in it right now or when it was last changed..? If not, I suggest to change the oil (SAE30 TO-4 spec) & filter, remove the magnetic strainer and inspect/clean/refit (take photos of what you find), then lastly cut the old filter open and squeeze a section in a vice. Take a look at the bottom of the pleats for particles. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Once you have a known quantity in the oil & filter it mght be time to think about pressure testing the transmission/converter system but not before - IMHO.

  14. #14latiff"2020-09-03 02:48

    Oil used is SAE40 ,how do I do the wire trick? All filters have been changed when previous technicians were troubleshooting why it wasn't moving. Oil is new too,strainer looks good and no metal particles on magnet. I'll check suction lines and tank. I'll test for pressure, thanks

  15. #15Nige2020-09-03 07:52

    SAE 40 what..? This compartment specifically requires a TO-4 grade oil. I was not aware that there was an SAE40 TO-4 on the market. SAE40 engine-grade oil will not work. Read the Click Box thread page 3 starting at post #50 for the “2 pieces of wire trick”. HeavyEquipmentForums

  16. #16latiff"2020-09-10 04:45

    Good morning from here team,So I went back to the machine with another transmission oil pump,installed it and machine wouldn't even move again just making an attempt even a high revs. So I gauged pump at filter housing and it hit 360- 400 psi depending on rpm. So I uncovered the solenoid and watched it as I engaged Forward/Reverse in gear 1,the oil that gushes out between solenoid 1 and 5 comes out very lazily,most times it doesn't even spit it out it just makes an attempt to. With forward and gear 1 engaged solenoid 2 & 6 were energised and magneting,but then I selected gear 2,3,4 and yet 2&6 were still energised, not shifting . The modulating valve bank has been serviced twice,since it wouldn't even move in the gear 1 it decided to engage, I got frustrated, unplugged all the solenoid, and hot wired it solenoid (2&6) .You needed to see the oil that gushed out of the hole and the power with which it moved with just a little pressure on the governor pedal. We had almost arranged for another tranny but thankfully we didn't. Could it be an ECM failure? Used select gear 1,3,4 previously, now only one and still wouldn't move. Sorry about the long write up,I love details

  17. #17Vetech632020-09-10 07:13

    It sounds like you have a flow/pressure issue. It’s time to run some pressure tests.

  18. #18latiff"2020-09-10 15:00

    What am I expecting to see? I've put an ecm from another 950F series 2 Machine now moves, and pushes sand with all the power in the world at start up,but put it to reverse to come back with the bucket of sand it won't move, only attempts to. But if you turn her off and on almost immediately, she will move in reverse powerfully then

  19. #19Nige2020-09-10 17:31

    Based on those symptoms it would appear to me that you have an intermittent electrical/electronic fault in the transmission wiring somewhere.

  20. #20latiff"2020-09-11 01:48

    Ok,am going to get the smaller aluminium ECM that doesn't have a display, let me rule out ecm as possible fault

  21. #21latiff"2020-09-15 09:00

    Tried two other ECM, still the same thing. You're right Nige,ECM now shows 650 F02 error code. This translates to "harness data erratic, intermittent or incorrect "

  22. #22Nige2020-09-15 10:37

    If you are "mixing & matching" ECM's with the Monitoring System Panel installed in the machine then there is a possibility that CID650 FMI02 has been generated by a "mismatch" between the software in the ECM and the software in the Monitor Panel. You need to be aware of that.

  23. #23Nige2020-09-15 11:00

    Has someone possibly been messing around with the Harness Code Plug..?

  24. #24latiff"2020-09-21 02:26

    I've seen those set of wires before, are they the ones behind the operator's seat? Just above the ECM?

  25. #25Nige2020-09-21 03:18

    Should be right next to the round 9-pin Deutsch connector for the ET Diagnostic Port.

  26. #26latiff"2020-09-22 09:21

    The ET diagnostic port is at the relay panel in the engine compartments, yes?

  27. #27Nige2020-09-22 11:23

    No it's in the cab - CONN 29, Location "D".

  28. #28latiff"2020-09-24 09:36

    Ok,I'll check for it