Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at buying a 966c loafing with bad shaking

bigrich954rr · 2020-09-01 13:03

Looking at buy a 1969 76j 00933loader pretty sure that’s the S/N it’s got the bad steering wheel shake / some leaking hydraulic cylinders and the tires are shot . Seems otherwise pretty good condition what would you guys pay for this? Also if the steering box /rack on this is shot can I just pull it out and install a orbital valve to replace the steering?

Replies7
  1. #1bigrich954rr2020-09-01 14:07

    Also is there still parts Available for maintaining and fixing a loader this old ? Are the parts hard to come by now ?

  2. #2kshansen2020-09-01 16:45

    Price is out of my wheel house! I know 20 years back when the place I worked was unloading 966C's the prices on Iron Planet the brought was unreal! Not sure what they go for these days but a look over on Iron Planet auction site might give you an idea. I'm thinking most parts would be available either OEM or aftermarket Cat actually does have their own brand of aftermarket parts called Yellowmark. I'm thinking price might be the only hard part, they don't give them away. Name me a part and I could probably give you an idea of price and availability. As for "updating" to orbital steering valve that might be possible but way beyond my skill set! I think I would be doing some of the basic stuff first like checking for worn or loose center pins, sloppy pins and bushings for steering cylinders. Those would need to be good no matter what steering valve system you have. Next might be to check the linkage from the steering column to the steering valve. A few dollars for a rod end or new clevis pin will do wonders at times. Steering box is pretty basic but needs to be working, there is a collar that can get sticky on a splined shaft that a couple squirts of oil can sometime work wonders. Then there is the follow-up linkage and mounts. Sometimes those mounting bolts can be loose and cause steering problems.

  3. #3bigrich954rr2020-09-02 09:45

    Ok thank you thinking I’ll be Getting it. going to check center wear to see if it’s worth it.

  4. #4mitch5042020-09-02 10:59

    Hey Ken, can you post a parts pic of 966c steering? I just can't quite wrap my head around the way the steering controls work. I don't need it, it just intrigues me. Thanks, Mitch

  5. #5HardRockNM2020-09-02 12:44

    One of my clients had a 966C for a time. They did a lot of transmission work on it and I never heard a peep about difficulty finding parts.

  6. #6kshansen2020-09-02 15:25

    How about an OOOfishal Sys. Op. description from MOMMA Cat? It can get a bit confusing and they can be a bit temperamental but if taken care of they were not bad.

  7. #7bigrich954rr2020-09-03 08:56

    Ok thank you I’ll be digging into it soon. just have.scrap up some more money to be able to buy it