Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950G will not go into 2nd gear??

marininc ยท 2015-06-28 11:42

Hi, I haven't been on this forum for a few years but have used it many times for the great posts' to read and for technical info to repair our equipment. Lets face it, Heavy equipment we run is the lifeblood of this industry!! Our mechanic replaced the trans in the 950G and second gear will not activate. 1st, 3rd, and 4th are fine but 2nd does nothing. It is supposed to be a rebuilt or good used trans. Is there a solenoid or wire not in the right place or something easy to check? Is there a website I can look at to help diagnose the problem. I know this is vague but I am just trying to help out my new company I am working for. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Charles

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2015-06-28 11:53

    First off a machine Serial Number (or at the very least the prefix) would be a help. Without that info it's extremely difficult to even know what type of transmission control you have. Why was the old transmission replaced..? Not for no 2nd gear I hope. Based on what's happened with the replacement is the mechanic sure that replacing the transmission was the right thing to do..?

  2. #2marininc2015-06-28 13:27

    serial # I will see if I can get the # soon, I am in a different part of the state this week so It may be hard. I do not know why the trans was replaced but after it was, there was no 2nd gear at all and the mechanic hasn't got a clue. Sorry to say but "no clue" That is the best info I have right now and thank you for replying to my post.

  3. #3Nige2015-06-28 14:06

    I think it would help to find out why the previous transmission was removed. Nobody likes to work for nothing, but say for example that if an external (electrical/electronic maybe?) fault was diagnosed incorrectly then it may turn out that replacing the unit was not the solution to the problem, because the problem wasn't in the transmission at all. Also was the transmission that was installed new, repaired, reconditioned, or used..? More importantly was the transmission tested on a flow bench before it was installed..?

  4. #4marininc2015-06-29 23:10

    touching base Don't give up on me guys, long day, just got in, I may take me a couple of days to get more info. The trans that was replaced was trashed from what I have heard. the replacement was a good used one. I think something was hooked up wrong, but my gut feeling could also be wrong. I will get more info soon, main thing is support my family. Good long day this Monday for pay, very tired. Night, Charles