So far I'm charging: $100/hr for PC120 Komatsu Excavator $100/hr for D4H Cat Dozer $80/hr for 416C 4x4 Cat Backhoe $80/hr for Deere 325 SkidSteer $40 for my labor on site. I'm doing small jobs around Lansing MI. These sound like fair market charge? I don't have too much overhead.
Sounds fair to me when working by the hour . Your equipment rate's are very close to what we charge for similar machines . On labor I charge $25 hour . I aint worth much on a hand shovel or driving nails .
I feel you could be $120 on the 120 and $90 for the backhoebackhoe, but it also depends on what the market tells you. Good luck.
I'd like to be! Just getting started and mostly doing homeowner jobs for now. Got some tornado cleanup monday!
I wish we could get 80 hell i wish even 70 for the backhoe at 65 im expensive in my area and alot of guys chwrge 50 to 55 an hour for backhoes
This is what we deal with down here http://www.chucksbackhoe.com/equipment.html
Gonna get a bit off topic, but... We had a F-4 size tornado come through the town I live in about a year and a half ago, if there is one thing that I learned from it is that if you are fair on pricing you will have more work then you can get done, the guys that charged double the normal rate because "insurance was paying" either lowered their prices or just didn't get any work. That being said, if you haven't done much demo work it can be kind of dangerous if your new to it, its worth the extra 20 minutes pulling something apart then to be replacing the front window on your machine. And if you have much to clean up, I would invest in a thumb for your 120.
Thats crazy! looks like that company owns a good amount of equipment too..... Monster how does anyone make any money at those rates? @ $65 an hour there can't be much left over after operating cost and business expenses.
First thing I did when I got the 120 home was order a weld-on thumb! Wish it was hydro but I got this machine for the right price and it's a nice tight piece.
Goodness.... how long has that guy been around?
That's gotta be a razor thin margin!
Well, their operators must be working cheap. Even then, the machine cost, fuel, and parts cost the same there, so they can't be making much.
They have like 20 backhoes and have been around since 1971 plus the other equipment they have Yes the margins are thin its tough some times
Its tough but it can be done. The worst part is down here is the people who dont even have insurance run old equipment amd use stolen fuel and charge 50.an hour for backhoe and 45 for skid steers
I do hourly at 90 for general stuff with the skid steer or 100 for running the brush mower. I might get a little more work if I was a bit lower but I wouldn't make more money. I'd rather just bid the job and most people prefer that anyway, I also think they are happier in the end. The customers that you want are more concerened with the work being done right and being done when you say it will than saving a couple hundred bucks.
Wow. Like I've said before, that minimum charge is where you make the money. I wonder if that's everytime he twists the key, or per job.
Are the equipment rates equipment only and then the customer has to add the $42 per hour operator rate? If so it's not that bad but still cheap.
Well, it says it is with the operator. The $42 per is for an operator, labor only. Maybe if you have their man run your machine??
Yeah Jerry, the 8 hour minimum on an excavator would make up for low rates on the real small jobs, but it sure is cheaper than what I charge.
Missed that, I guess I was so shocked by the hourly rates.:beatsme I don't think I would take on the liability of sending an operator out to run someone else's machine for $42 an hour no matter what the contract said. Hell I charge $30 an hour for hand labor and there's not much profit in that.
I read his add that the pricing is for the machine only, so add 42.00 on every number of which would be more in line, but still overall cheap.
I'm guessing Chuck has his own contract bid jobs where he makes good money and then with the same equipment turns around and rents equipment with operator to other contractors & public at a cheap rate on smaller hourly jobs . It's a good marketing tactic , allows you to get your foot in the door on bigger jobs . Make a little money off everyone . I pretty much do the same only on a smaller scale .
They charge 66 with operator and they do allot of hourly work from what i seen ,we even have the same sale person at john deere .other companies like lopefra down here charge 65 for backhoe its crazy and its hard for us at times. only good thing is we have work all year long down here
Too cheap. I'm 100/hr for my PC120 with thumb + $120 to move in. OR I will do a 8-10hr day for $1,000 and waive the mobilization fee. I quoted a day for the tornado / tree stump job. I hammered the job out in 5 hours because I wanted to get the excavator and dozer trucked in to the next job today. Tree Service guy I was subbing for gave me the full $1,000 and said he liked my work, I almost felt bad. Then 3 hours later I get a call, I tracked over a concrete slab (unavoidable, only route into a work area) and cracked it. Property manager says no to patching it, replace the slab. Split the cost with the other contractor, my bill, $250. Glad I had a little cushion built in. It pays to quote the job and get it done, rather than hourly for sure.