Hi guys I had this issue twice the last 3 days and i need some help from the cat specialists of the forum. All of the sudden the boom is not raising and the bucket is not tilting.Steering and loader front and rear movement is ok but when you move the levers nothing happens.I left the machine for a few minutes and then it was ok but it’s almost certain that it will happen again. S/N N1A00296 and not any service codes on the dashboard.
Wasn’t any codes displayed while it was happening?
If the problem was in the electrics, then the codes will be written to the ECM memory in any case. Logged Codes can be scrolled and seen on the display, and it is best to connect CAT ET. There may also be a problem with the implement lock button.
Did it happen while working, or implements just didn’t come on?
No codes the operator said. The first time happened while working and the other one after starting up.
Kinda seems like implement lock button.
Not on this machine they can't. It needs a Click Box to put the monitor into Service Mode first. If ET is available it will be faster, but a Click Box will work just as well. I take it you mean the SERV CODE icon is not illuminated.? The next step would be to put the Monitor into Service Mode using a Click Box and scroll through the Logged Service Codes. After making a list of the Logged Codes I would suggest to erase all of them, run the machine and see what, if anything, comes back. For more information on the Click Box, even including how to make your own or to use nothing more than 2 pieces of wire to change modes on the Monitor, click this LINK
The SERV CODE icon never appeared not even during the problem.
Just to be certain, does it appear when the key is first turned on while the panel is doing its self-test before starting the engine.?
Ok I went to the machine today, the following codes are stored: 036 291.05 036 596.14 081 673.02 082 358.05 081 795.07 serv code (active)
082 358.05 is your menace. I take it worked fine when you took those codes. But it got logged in. IMO either loose contact, disrupts on heat, cools down when you shut machine down. Or problem with latching circuit of that button. The active code is transmission code. But I didn’t understand the CID of it. Either steering angle sensor ( which doesn’t make sense because it’s for wrong MID), or “steering angle wrong for speed”, theoretically can be logged in for transmission - but it is long shot. Or secondary steering intermittent relay - don’t make sense to me. I’m sure Nige will clear all my gibberish and correct me where I’m wrong. But yes - you do have code for pilot circuit solenoid current logged in. I’d go looking for green crusties or wiggly-wiggly of the connector for that solenoid
Well I found the wires that goes to a solenoid to be green and not in good condition.I cleaned everything and I used electrical tape to cover the exposed wires.The technician told me that maybe I should replace the solenoid.Part number is 225-0300.
Ì wouldn’t be so heisty on the solenoid. Electrical tape is temporary. Cut and put section of a good wire ( XLP preferably ) crimp or solder splices, heat shrink and put the jacket on. BTW - where is it? Is it a pigtail between where wires coming out from the jacket and connector? Can you post some pictures?
Did you take pictures, Electrical tape is very temporary fix. I’d suggest cutting bad sections out, replacing it with good wires ( preferably XLP), crimp or solder splices, heat shrink them and put jacket on top. Solenoid is not necessarily bad, bad wires will create a problem you had. But having spare one on hand is not a bad idea.
Yes I know tape is a temporary solution.The technician is almost certain that is the solenoid that makes the problem.I can post the diagram
I wanted to see the condition wires were in.
Bullsh1t. Ask him WHY he recommends replacing it. Is the resistance of the coil not within specification for example.? Or is it just that his crystal ball is better then mine.? I agree. It's an open circuit in the pilot control solenoid, must be one or more intermittent bad contacts if it is not Active. Attached is the diagnostic procedure for 358-05, more to show you where those wires (H717-Brown and K927-blue) go rather than to follow said procedure. I would suggest that you need to check every machine harness connector between the solenoid and the Implement ECM for green crusties, etc. You may have more than one problem. Check your message inbox. Electrical schematic incoming. It will help you locate all the harness connectors between the pilot solenoid and the ECM. It also contains the specification for the resistance of the pilot solenoid coil (38.1 ± 1.9 ohms)
You took words out of my mouth, about solenoid
I've seen this before on various occasions with Greek technicians/repairmen. For example "almost certain" cost a member on this forum two repeat transmission failures that need not have occured if the technician/repariman had done his job properly and not depended on being "almost certain"............
How in the hell did I get lost on that 081 795.07? Nige?
I cannot post photos I am not at the machine guys.To be fair the technician didn’t see the loader, he was to busy,he just told me his opinion but he mentioned to me that he has to measure the coil to be absolute certain.
We lack of good technicians this is true Nige.
Believe me when I say I have personal experience of that.......... Most of your so-called technicians I would not trust as far as I could throw them, which isn't very far. Please can you ask him to recommend a good brand of crystal ball.? His is obviously far better than mine.
From the troubleshooting procedure.......... The CID 0795 FMI 07 diagnostic code can only be recorded if the optional secondary steering system is installed and the machine is moving. The ECM determines that the machine is moving via the transmission output speed sensor. The CID 0795 FMI 07 diagnostic code can only be recorded if there is no secondary steering pressure when the relay is energized. When the machine is at rest, this diagnostic code will always be inactive. That is somewhat surprising as I assume the codes were read when the machine was not moving. So how can the Code be Active under those condtions.? Maybe warrants further investigation.?
Definitely. And that’s was an active code.
I would say transmission speed sensor circuit, would be my suspect.
Another thing: 081 should be SPN - right? In that case it is DPF code. Does that thing has DPF in it?
You might be right, because - "CID 0673 FMI 02 diagnostic code is recorded when the power train electronic control module (ECM) reads the speed sensor signal as being erratic, intermittent, or incorrect." Now that Code will only become Active if the machine is moving if my memory serves me correctly. Not so. 081 in this case is the Module Identification (MID) - Power Train ECM.
Is the “secondary steering” referring to the DC pump? There’s two pressure switches on main to DC steering diverter valve block
Got it! Thanks! For some weird reason I just love to learn these ECM strategies.
Internal harness shorting to something with power can mimic signal of speed sensor
Affirmative. It needs the Secondary Steering relay to be energized but no pressure detected at both of the (normally closed) secondary steering presure switches.
Thinking more about the 0795-07 Code I suppose the question to ask at this point would be does this particular machine actually have the optional secondary steering attachment installed.?
On 950 and whatever with it and 966 ( the same) they show them standard. The only option is steering - orbital or pilot valve
It’s for emergencies, I think. I’d engine will die - you can steer the machine while pulling on RGN Or if main steering pump dies - you can “limp” the machine to shop, having some kind of a steering
My 950H has the secondary steering but it’s not working,the button that activates it is red and warning light flashes on dashboard.Probably that’s why the fault code is active?
Here ya go!
You would think another requirement to set that code would be FNR selector switched to F or R. Right?
Just to give an update,I changed the solenoid and everything works fine.Thank you all guys for the help.