Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950H loader loading a non runner

mattyt1984 ยท 2023-12-05 20:43

I purchased a 950 H loader not running now I need to get it loaded up. Pickup location has a 70 ton crane available. Just wondering how to get it into nuetral? Any other tips would be appreciated too. Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2023-12-05 21:29

    Are you wanting to drag it onto the lowboy or use the crane to lift it.? If the former then there ought to be a towing procedure in the manual.

  2. #2mattyt19842023-12-06 06:58

    Yes I am thinking just lifting the front or rear and dragging it. I do not have the manual for it though.

  3. #3kshansen2023-12-06 11:17

    Just be aware that if you do anything to allow the dead machine to be towed it will mean you have no way to stop it. I would say a ridged tow bar and a machine of equal or larger size would be the safest. And this is if on a smooth a level surface. Not a job for someone unfamiliar with the job and it's dangers. Even if this is a fairly small machine it can still kill you in seconds if something goes wrong. Small being a relative term here as it is coming from someone who worked on 988H and 773's.

  4. #4Oxbow2023-12-06 11:48

    It would probably be wise to get i aimed correctly and lock the articulation out too. I have never tried moving one without it running. An H would have the park brake on the driveline wouldn't it? That would have to be overcome, or remove drivelines.

  5. #5skyking12023-12-06 17:58

    Thanks guys. Bottom line is get some good help and have a plan for the energy you are messing with. I tried to do this stuff by myself before and it is not good. Just one safety chain would have saved me a lot of misery.

  6. #6Nige2023-12-06 18:44

    I'll try to find a towing procedure for a machine with a non-running engine. One thing I do know before I even start looking is that the frame lock will have to be installed.

  7. #7kshansen2023-12-06 19:24

    Moving a machine with the frame lock installed may seem like a nuisance but the alternative is you would have zero control over where it might go if worst happens and it gets away from you. Just bumping something with one wheel could send it someplace not intended. More than once had to load a nonrunning loader on a lowboy like a 980G! The good thing about that one is loader was in the shop, we had a 40 ton overhead crane and any thing up to a 988H to use to push or pull as needed. Even with all that I felt better once it was chained down on the trailer.

  8. #8Nige2023-12-07 09:42

    Having looked into this I need a Serial Number (even if it's only a prefix) to better investigate the parking brake operation. It seems as though some models have a spring-applied oil-released parking brake.

  9. #9mattyt19842023-12-07 16:49

    CAT0950HTK5K0229

  10. #10Nige2023-12-07 18:31

    You're missing a character after the K5K. I looked at 00229 but need confirmation. Is it equipped with the electrical secondary steering.? If it is that would be a bonus. The attachment should get you where you need to be. You may be able to use the information in it to get the implement hydraulics into float so that the bucket will move up & down somewhat. Personally I would use a towbar and push it on the the lowboy, assuming that is what you are going to use for transporting it.

  11. #11mattyt19842023-12-07 18:40

    Sorry add a 7 to the end of that! I'm not sure as I bought it unseen

  12. #12Nige2023-12-07 18:50

    OK. K5K02297 did not leave the factory equipped with secondary steering so you are out of luck in that respect.

  13. #13mattyt19842023-12-14 20:30

    Looks pretty easy to releae brake. What is easiest way to get bucket up in the air? Will I just need battery power lift with key on and lift bucket and lever pull back on bucket lift stick at same time?