Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 950K Loader.

Nathan Scarborough ยท 2022-05-27 14:03

Any one ever experience your loader being stuck in float mode? If the operator pushes down on the joy stick to put in float mode it won't come out unless you shut down the equipment and crank it back up.

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2022-05-27 14:58

    Serial Number.? It always makes it easier to find information. Got any Diagnostic Codes.? You should be able to see them from the Advisor screen in Service Mode. See attachment.

  2. #2Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 15:03

    Our computer for some reason would not communicate with the loader today. I will try getting codes this way and get the serial number thanks. Will update soon.

  3. #3Nige2022-05-27 15:09

    That in and of itself could be the indication of a problem on the machine, provided that the same computer has successfully communicated with this particular machine on previous occasions of course. I only suggested using Advisor because most customers/operators do not have ET which would always be the preferred method of accessing Codes simply because it's usually easier.

  4. #4Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 15:23

    There are no codes showing. The computer we have is new and it's something with the software they think. The serial# R4A02707

  5. #5Nige2022-05-27 15:29

    Clutching at straws here but does the "Float" icon on the panel light up when the operator pushes the control to the float position, and more importantly does it go off again when the control is moved out of float to any other position.? I'm wondering out loud if the joystick position sensor requires calibration, which is a bit of a bugger if you can't connect ET to the machine because that's the only way I know of to do it. EDIT: In fact I'll go one further. I would suggest a re-cal of the lift/tilt control joystick position sensors, the front-end linkage position sensors, and the implement control valve proportional solenoids. All of those calibrations will unfortunately require ET.

  6. #6Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 15:52

    I actually got some codes when I put the loader into float mode. Looks like we have something going on maybe with a sensor. I'm not the mechanic.

  7. #7Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 15:53

    Oh forgot to mention the float icon does not come on.

  8. #8Nige2022-05-27 16:09

    OK, now we're cooking with gas......... Let me see what I can dig up on those three Codes. The first two are for the lever/joystick position sensors. I'll upload the troubleshooting procedures. The last one is a "Calibration Required" but I think it applies to the aftertreatment system.

  9. #9Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 16:17

    I appreciate all your help!

  10. #10Nige2022-05-27 16:26

    OK, here you go. 3397 is the Soot Sensor. Has a new sensor been installed at some time in the past.? From the description of the Code that's the impression I get. Regarding the two Codes for the Joystick Position Sensors you are either going to require ET hooked up to the machine so that you can see the sensor output signal, which is of the PWM type, on the laptop screen. Alternatively you could use a multimeter equipped with a Duty Cycle function (not all are) and backprobe the connections at the sensor to see the PWM output.

  11. #11Nathan Scarborough2022-05-27 17:23

    I will get the mechanic on this first thing Tuesday morning. Thanks for all your help.

  12. #12MountMachinery2022-06-02 07:35

    That sounds amazing!

  13. #13Nathan Scarborough2022-06-02 10:04

    The Joystick was bad and the other was actually a bad sensor. Thanks for all your help!!!!

  14. #14Nige2022-06-02 11:23

    So the soot sensor Calibration Code is also sorted.? I ask because that could come back and bite you in the butt at some point if it was not sorted.

  15. #15Nathan Scarborough2022-06-02 12:25

    Well our mechanic is on vacation so we had to call in Yancey and that is what they are telling us.

  16. #16Nige2022-06-02 12:36

    What exactly did they do.? Replace the sensor then do a recalibration.? The Service Report that someone from your side signed should have the details on it.

  17. #17Nathan Scarborough2022-06-02 13:27

    Work has not been completed yet. Parts are on order. I don't see what was done until it goes through approval with upper management.