Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 951 id

Toyotadadon · 2022-06-06 21:54

Hi was wondering if I could get this decoded here also anyone got manuals in pdf? The number is a bit scratched but I think reads 951 86j4287 3v3020 3304 78p25595 2p6779

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2022-06-07 10:54

    It's a 951C, S/N puts it amongst the first ones built that were fitted with a 3304 engine. Can't help you with pdfs but here are the Publication Reference numbers for all the available manuals for your machine. An internet search should throw something up. Numbers in brackets are the cost of a pdf download from Cat (where one is available) Parts - SEBP1051 ($115) Lurication & Maintenance - SEBU6505 ($28) Operation - SEBU5298 ($28) Service (complete repair manual) - REG00783. Paper $520, CD $365. EDIT: You may find that paper copies of a Service Manual also contain the Lubrication & Maintenance Manual, like this one........... https://www.ebay.com/itm/374072563613?hash=item571876579d:g:NJ8AAOSwDz9ifUtY&amdata=enc:AQAHAAABEKIGuUWHx/PCimXigMYPHgwOGwrKuiF3+5w5jtUr04wgv/H3oL6Klc+btMsb7TFiRjEpaMaY77GeJbQm6UdMUnTpRh/ssXaYyJ5onYSBJHhlWSBj6F5R+ld/oDl0G6XXPm71P3CZu4ESzx04vBa4NjMUcdn0tJP51noqNPp+wxShsDpf/BtO2XzCVerjZGpUdUVorn0scelutVsn3Dy3I31q5HxvesduIsDLSPHdrjsAa0l/Y6ucEF+UHr7Zo8dz5cKzAvPd6TBrrQUr47hy4AKhcKOzuQGrEs9K1nAPiR+/sWszjJWW9wZnweA22mNMq7bKdUJb4EsxIUZ7xiujPV5TohMms0Xql5UwQ8BPBwgF|tkp:BFBMrtvO7Kdg

  2. #2Toyotadadon2022-06-07 12:16

    Does it specify years when we're they fitted with a 3304?

  3. #3Nige2022-06-07 12:53

    Not on the systems I have access to. The early 86J-prefix machines from the introduction in 1967 were badged 951B and fitted with a D330 model engine. BothtThe tractor and the engine Serial Number for a 951B would be the same. In 1971, and above a certain 86J Serial Number the badge changed from 951B to 951C but AFAIK (checking on that now) the engine remained as a D330 for a while after that point. At some later S/N the D330 engine was replaced by a 3304 and the S/N plate will look like yours where there is one S/N for the machine and a different one (78P prefix) for the engine.

  4. #4Nige2022-06-07 14:26

    OK, here is the relevant information. The 86J 951B became the 951C from 86J1992-Up. The engine remained as a D330. This would be around the 1970/71 time frame. The 951C was fitted with a 3304 engine replacing the former D330 engine from 86J2598-Up. I thought the 3304 was only introduced around 86J4041 which is why I referred to your particular machine as "amongst the first ones built that were fitted with a 3304 engine". I was clearly wrong in that.

  5. #5tctractors2022-06-07 15:45

    I tend to think the engine change came in the Spring of 1973, well it did for the U.K. and Europe, with 4287 I would guess it to be from around the end of 1976 or early 1977, the build date is often stamped onto the loader frame near side within a foot of the top mounting pin, the date can also be stamped on the right hand hard bar under the frame covers, I can often tell the build year by looking at them as they have many modifications that help pin point things. tctractors

  6. #6Old Magnet2022-06-07 17:08

    From the beginning the 951B has the D330c engine, became the 951C @ s/n 86J1992 and got the 3304 @ s/n 86J2598.

  7. #7Welder Dave2022-06-07 18:17

    86J4287 is a fairly early 1977. 1977 starts at 86J4252 and goes to 86J4534.

  8. #8Toyotadadon2022-06-08 00:49

    I talked with cat quinn today and he specified it as a 1977 so it makes sense with the numbers in order like that he also referred it as a 951c. I just bought this baby and limped her home. I was running it today and it suddenly died and wouldn't restart. But either way I'm going to get all new filters and fluids also some of the rams are a bit leaky so I got lots of work Todo. I also couldn't get it to move any more pretty much drove it on a tow truck and off drove it to my little shop and now it will not move any more. I think it's due to the winch controls. I'm not sure how to run the winch but would it kill the tracks while winch is in operation?

  9. #9Toyotadadon2022-06-12 00:04

    Ok so I got it fired back up and moved today started pushing some dirt and blew a hose. Hopefully I can find one locally. I noticed I have some diesel leaking on top of pump hard line think it's on number one. Far left in photo. Does anyone have a breakdown of the pump. Are there seals in the hardline fitting? Also the hard lines off the injectors?

  10. #10tctractors2022-06-12 15:48

    The CAT hydraulic pipes found on the 951C's use reusable fittings, the pipe fittings to lots of the cylinders were never made by CAT and are Komatsu fittings, they are hard to get stripped apart to replace the hose section and often end up damaged, the injector fuel lines are Steel to Steel connections so undo then tighten might cure your leak. tctractors

  11. #11PattyD2024-02-16 14:54

    Hello, I have a 951C made in the UK delivery date of 79. Where can I find this plate?

  12. #12Nige2024-02-16 16:00

    Strange. There were no 951C machines built in the UK as far as I'm aware. France, Japan, & USA were the production locations. All the data plates should be in the same place on the machine wherever it was manufactured. See attached.

  13. #13PattyD2024-02-17 14:34

    Thank you so much for the response!! Still looking for the SN this is why I thought it was England. View attachment IMG_9141.jpeg

  14. #14Nige2024-02-17 15:16

    That brings back memories….. Bowmaker was one of the UK Cat dealers back in the day. A cousin of mine did his apprenticeship with them. That plate simply refers to the country where it was originally sold, unfortunately not where it was built.

  15. #15PattyD2024-02-17 20:33

    That is very interesting, you are a wealth of knowledge.

  16. #16tctractors2024-02-18 06:35

    The 951 was first built in Glasgow with the 89A Series, the similar looking 63K series followed, then when the 951B came out for the U.K. it was built in France as the 69H series, this carried on through with the 951C, so most 951B and C series throughout Europe were French built with just a few imported from the U.S.A., I can recall 1 951C U.S. built was fitted from new with a leather seat.