Hi all i have a CAT 951C, It has the CAT 3304 motor and juat coming off a fresh rebuild of the bottom end after a spun rod bearing. I had the radiator cooked out during the process. The temp is getting up to almost 240 degrees at times. Water pump seems to be moving water good, just put a new fan in it, and thermostat has been taken out. Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks.
Put a new regulator back in the engine. Bob
I love a good Caterpillar overheating thread. I’m so in on page 1.
Like Bluox said. She will overheat without a regulator installed. Some people don’t think that cooling systems be like they do, but they are. Seriously, that’s how full blocking style regulators work. With the regulator removed, it’s easier for the coolant to bypass the heat exchanger, than to go through it. Step 2: Is it really overheating? Or, is the temp gauge actually accurate? Please update us when you you get that done.
I have never figured out why some people think this is a fix for overheating. I need Bluox to explain this to me........in detail!
After fitting a new water temperature regulator, the first thing that needs checking.........
OK so Im not familiar with the water temp regulator. Where is it located on the back of the motor? Also The temp guage is aftermarket, I installed it right after I got it.
OK so I put a new temp gauge on after i got it so it isnt the factory one. Not sure where the water temp regulator is.
Under the elbow the top radiator hose is hooked to. Bob
gauge is correct is is aftermarket.
Im guessing im calling that the thermostat!
Aftermarket, ah? Like from Walmart or a quality unit from ISSPRO or Murphy? I would not trust the accuracy of the replacement gauge until verified. Been there & done that. Learned the hard way.
Take a look at the original regulator and measure the width of the wear mark on the bonnet. You’ll see what I’m talking about. Should be about 3/8”. Does the regulator housing still have the lip seal in place.? Not sure what I’m talking about? It’s probably missing or rotted away, if that’s the case. Install a new one.
3304 doesn't show the lip seal. Just regulator (7N0208) and gasket. Now, the lip seal is used on my 3116 motors.
Excellent.
And it looks nothing like that. Bob
Have you cleaned engine oil cooler tubes that coolant flows thru it to keep oil temp in check. Will be over top of spin on engine oil filter.
Think it looks more like this: As full S/N was not noticed in thread I was just guessing at a 951C to get that image. But that looks like what I remember going in the 3306 engine I worked on. No lip seals like the one shown in other message a couple back. Or it could be like this one also shown as being used in some 951C engines:
Have you cleaned engine oil cooler tubes that coolant flows thru it to keep oil temp in check. Will be over top of spin on engine oil filter.
Dagnabbit. This thread is going sideways. We need a serial number. This ol’e 951C is hot and bothered and it needs fixed, ASAP. Or, before long, we’ll be talking about blown cylinder head gaskets and cracked pre-cup chambers and other mayhem.
I got this guage from Autozone. Had the same one on a skid steer that I used to have.
I have not but they removed the entire engine when they did the rebuild.
Ok here is the S/N 69H4866. Yes thanks for all the help!! Just spent $6700 on rebuild and dont want it to blow something else
Roger that. Let’s take a couple measurements today, (after you install the regulator). Beg, borrow or steal a infrared thermometer. Next, get her warmed up. Work her until the regulator opens up. You can tell, because the top radiator hose will get hot when the water starts going to the radiator. First, record the temp reading of the dash gauge. Go to the engine and use the infrared thermometer to take a reading at the gauge sending unit. Next, Measure the temp at the regulator housing and then at the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water pump. Watch the fan! Watch the belts! Be careful. And report back.
Ok Will do. I am waiting on CAT to get back to me on the regulator. As far as the fan and belts go, belts and fan are new, However the fan is blowing out instead of sucking in, is that correct?
I think that fan is reversible. Air flow direction may not make a difference in our troubleshooting, at this point of the process. Good to note.
If it is in fact a reversible fan make real sure all the blades are locked in and pushing or pulling the same way. Had a D333 or maybe a 3306 in a 966C loader that was overheating and found the problem was someone missed one blade while reversing them!
Almost every front engine track loader I have seen had a pusher fan, after you run one awhile you will see why. Bob