Hey guys my 953 Ser#20Z00654 started losing coolant and I traced the leak to a bad seal (I'm hoping this thing is a legitimate part and not a jury rigged fix) between water pump and engine. The pics will hopefully tell the story. I'm hoping to get the part number and name of this thing. Thank you all in advance for your time and expertise!
In the above pics with the arrows it is removed.
This is the culprit
Non related pics. Homemade fork attachment comes in handy.
You need 7, 8 & 9.
Thank you Cmark. I appreciate your response.
That is the correct seal order the seal the ferrule and the clamp
Thanks Dave.
Just replaced that seal while doing a head replacement. The rubber ring just compresses between the head and front housing. Kind of strange but it works. We did throw a little rtv on just to ensure a good seal but not sure it was necessary. However, with the head off we were able to clean the surfaces very well. Without the head off I believe you'd have a hard time getting in there real well to clean things up. A little rtv might be a little extra insurance against a leak. Nice forks! Got a set on my ASV mini track loader and they are essential around a farm.
Thanks greg580b. The forks are a pain to attach and take off but are extremely useful. Didn't think about the rtv but I got it installed and tightened and it seems to be holding. As with all my fixes I will watch it carefully till I'm sure it's good.
I would like to flush the coolant system and replace the the antifreeze. Before I discovered the leaking seal I added regular automotive antifreeze not knowing if it would hurt anything. I bought the Cat full strength antifreeze from the local Cat place and inquired about the conditioner that my manual calls for and the counter guy basically said I didn't need it. Any advice on that would be appreciated. My system capacity is 5.8 gallons and I bought 2 gallons of antifreeze.
Which "Cat antifreeze" did you buy. Got a Part Number..?
Yes here is what I have...
It's pre-formulated with SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive) which I assume is the conditioner your manual refers to. Back in the day it was not uncommon for SCA to come separately, today it's more usual for it to be blended into the anti-freeze. For frost protection down what's shown on the label you're supposed to mix it 50/50 with water. This would require close on 3 gallons if the total system capacity is 5.8 gallons. It's your decision entirely if you think 2 gallons is sufficient. If you are not sure whether your water quality is "acceptable" as mentioned on the label then the alternative would be to use pre-packaged distilled/de-ionized water to mix with the anti-freeze.
Distilled water is cheap and Walmart and most grocery stores carry it. I think deionized is easy to find too. That looks like good long life antifreeze. Wonder if it crosses to a common brand that will be less expensive than Cat? Maybe Cat has a good price on it? I should probably change the antifreeze in a couple of my machines. No wet liners in them but how do you know when antifreeze should be changed? Does it go bad? I know you can get "coolant strips" to test it. Is that the best way? I think( not sure) that short little line your arrow points to can be used for bleeding air out of the cooling system when filling it. I remember there was something the shop told me regarding the 3204 getting air locked and there was a fitting that could be loosened to bleed air.
Thanks Nige and Dave. I will get another gallon of the antifreeze to get the correct ratio but we rarely get down below 20 degrees or so but I have seen 5 degrees once. Ruined my pump house lines. Picture a grenade tossed in. The antifreeze was $16.94/gal. I had already planned to get the distilled water from grocery store. I will flush system with my well water. Thanks again for the help.