Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me 955L, Help with Serial Number Identification

Domgoldst · 2021-05-11 12:00

Hello All, I just recently purchased a 955L and I am struggling to identify the complete serial number. I can make out 85__5005 I believe. I have attached some pictures for you to view. It says L series below so I know there is a J, but I can not make out if there is another number after the J. I am wanting to order lift and tilt cylinder seal kits to replace them before I bring it home. The guy I am purchasing it from is willing to lend a hand so I want to take advantage of this. It would also be good to know what filter numbers I need so I can do a refresh before putting it to work. Any insight will be extremely helpful. I have watched some videos and read some forums on the cylinder seal rebuilds. Seems daunting but I am willing to tackle it.

Replies12
  1. #1kshansen2021-05-11 13:11

    I seem to be finding an 85J prefix for a 955K but not a 955L. Are there any tags on other things like the cylinders you are looking to rebuild or maybe a torque converter, engine or other major component? If no tags how about a stamped in number on a cylinder? If there is a number on a cylinder check also for a CHG. number Tilt cylinders could be 7J9637 and 7J9638(right and left) and both with a CHG.4

  2. #2Domgoldst2021-05-11 13:33

    It says L series under the serial number on the tag. Here is a picture of what’s stamped on the cylinder

  3. #3Nige2021-05-11 13:45

    85J-prefix covers both 955K and 955L models. 85J5005 is a 955L, but one of the early ones with a D300-series engine. The 3304 engine was not officially fitted to the 955 starting from 85J6247-Up All the Part Numbers you need for seal kits, filters, etc you might be better off getting hold of a Parts Manual. Look for Cat Publication UEG0589S in the usual online marketplaces, or you can download one from Cat in pdf form for $115. Another comment regarding cylinder seal kits. There have been a couple of cases recently of loaders a similar vintage to yours where the cylinders proved to be slightly different internally than the kit that allegedly was the correct one. Of course the time to find that the seal kits you have are not 100% correct is not when you pull the cylinder apart. I can give you some Part Numbers but on previous experience I would not guarantee the contents of the kit will be 100% correct for the cylinders currently installed on your machine.

  4. #4Domgoldst2021-05-11 13:56

    Thank you Nige! I’ll go ahead and order a manual. The Cat dealership hasn’t been the most helpful with the older equipment. I did pick up some filters. Any recommended brand of rebuild kits? I want to make sure I put quality components back in.

  5. #5Nige2021-05-11 14:21

    Ordering a Parts Manual ........ Go to https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest" Type UEG0589S into the box and click Search. What you see below should pop up. If you want a Maintenance Manual you need to search for SEBU6520. This will give you info on fluids, capacities, maintenance intervals & procedures.

  6. #6AllDodge2021-05-11 17:15

    You have one a slight bit older then mine. Replaced my cylinder seals a couple years ago I think (mem is getting fuzzy)

  7. #7Domgoldst2021-05-11 19:20

    I purchased the manual, and ordered all of my seals today from CAT, and also snagged the fuel filter, transmission filter, engine oil filter, and hydraulic filter. Attached are a few pics of the track loader.

  8. #8kshansen2021-05-12 07:36

    That can be a major pain on older equipment that you don't have full history on. Over the years I have probably be guilty of causing problems for future owners of equipment by swapping parts from different "vintages" to get a machine to function. One example could be were say a tilt cylinder from an older machine was used to replace one from a newer machine. At one time the pistons had a tapered bore and the rod had a matching taper then Cat changed to straight bore piston and a straight rod with a step on the rod. Externally it would not be obvious if some one had replaced one cylinder arrangement with one of the other design.

  9. #9Domgoldst2021-05-12 09:45

    Purchasing the parts manual made a huge difference. It appears that it will be well worth the money.

  10. #10John Riccio2021-09-22 11:05

    Where is the serial number located on the machine

  11. #11AllDodge2021-09-22 11:17

    Mine is to the right of the dash on the support frame

  12. #12John Riccio2021-09-22 11:21

    Thanks