Hi everyone. I’ve been researching what engine my Cat 953 has for some time now. My serial number is 78y01192. I’ve always assumed that it had the 3204, but after some reading I’ve read they have put a few 3304 engines in these machines. I’ve found a parts manual on eBay, I will attach the picture below, it says my serial number is powered by 3304, is this accurate? And is one preferred over the other? Where can I check on the engine to confirm what it is? Thanks everybody!
The Parts Manual cover page is a misprint. Your engine model is a 3204. If you want to confirm that, look for the Serial Number plate on the engine. If it is a 3204 it will start with 45V, and if your tractor still has the original engine the complete S/N wil be 45V95275. See below.
The eBay Parts Manual is correct for your Serial Number 78Y01192. The price is not bad either. A new one is currently over $150.
never put a 3304 in a 953 or 943 send a picture of engine and I can verify what it is
That's pretty bad that Cat wouldn't notice a major typo like that. I'm sure a lot of owners wish their 953's had a 3304.