Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953 final drive axle

Andye1999 · 2022-10-04 15:48

I’m currently working on a Cat 953. (78y) Last time it ran trans oil cooler busted. If I can get it operable I will buy it. The previous owner has taken axles out of final drive and attempted to pull with a chain. What is the correct way to reinstall these. Are they timed? I’ve tried to reinstall but I’m having a tremendous time getting the inner splines to line up.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-10-04 16:27

    They are not timed but also they are also apparently not designed to be removed and installed while the final drives are on the machine. See attachment. Fingers crossed you might simply need to rotate the inner part of the final drive to get the shafts to engage the splines. It appears to me that if there is any wear at all in the bearing #20 it might allow the gear #21 to sink just a hair and result in it being almost impossible to get the shaft into the splines inside the gear. If you want any parts info it will need a full Serial Number because there are 4 slightly different FD Part Numbers that cover different machine S/N ranges.

  2. #2Andye19992022-10-04 16:47

    Thanks so much for your reply. 78y01192 is the serial number. How would I rotate the inner part of the final drive? I’ve been around tractors but I have little experience with this type of machinery.

  3. #3Nige2022-10-05 01:18

    Sorry, a poor choice of words. Basically what you have to do is move the inside and outside relative to one another in order to get the splines to line up. That means the outside will somehow have to be rotated.

  4. #456wrench2022-10-05 09:49

    If that does not work and if the ends of the inner splines on the axle are blunt or sharp, you can take a DREMEL tool and carefully chamfer the ends very slightly to help them align as they start to engage the bull gear