Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953 Infomation Please

lillyroger ยท 2008-12-29 14:45

I am looking to replace our 1968 941 track loader with a 1986 year 953. I would like to know if they have any common problems . I would like to know fuel usage per hour for the 953 also. Any info would be appriciated

Replies11
  1. #1wormkiller2008-12-29 23:45

    The turbo 3204 was gutless from the start and the track adjuster rod was too delicate after the tracks were run-out. Thats the only bad thing I could remember. Good luck.

  2. #2qball2008-12-30 22:17

    also, wurmlilter, they have no cupholder andtheget stuck too easy and are really hard on trucksideboards.

  3. #3Rusted2008-12-31 00:25

    Hey lilly, mate they are a great tractor, i've got 78y 01035.She's done around 28000 hrs with no real problems. I'd suggest to do all the normal checks. Mine was dusted and sleeved prior to me owning it, and the engines great, going from a powershift to a hydrostatic you need to get into the practice of not stalling the revs from trying to get to much drive. See if you can get a look into the final drive through the drain hole, mine had a bearing fail and when the fitter pulled it down we found all the gears near there wear limit. So a full rebuild of 1 final drive was $13,000 inc parts are no problem from cat.No problem with walking gear, check the diagonal brace centre pin and end caps wear here will break the bearing in the end caps. Trans will have oil leaks at fittings, and you can only replace so many O rings without pulling the trans out of the machine. If you have any other questions PM me. Actually I think i've just said what the other blokes just posted.

  4. #4312King2008-12-31 03:15

    We have a 1988 953 we have owned since new. We put one head gasket and a set of idlers on it. with 6000 hrs great machine

  5. #5lillyroger2009-01-02 02:10

    fuel usage Can any body give me an indication on fuel usage , The 941 uses around 14 lts per hour on heavy pushing.

  6. #6Cmark2009-01-02 09:16

    Hi Rusted. If you find you're having to back off the drive to avoid bogging the motor down, you may have a (minor) problem. The hydrostats sense engine rpm and destroke the drive pumps to keep the rpm constant. You should be able to stall the tracks out and not bring the engine below 1800 rpm. (I think that's the figure, I'd have to check the specs to be sure) The only time you should get less than '1800' is when a sudden load is applied (from either the drive and/or the implements) and it takes the tranny around a second to figure out what's going on and adjust itsself accordingly. As you say, they're a great machine, when maintained well.

  7. #7Monte12552009-01-18 22:51

    Hi guys: been gone a while , but got time to add my two cents worth. I bought a 953 this last august for use around the farm and for logging and etc.... My experience with the machine is that it is very handy machine to have and well suited to many jobs that seem to be just a bit too big for skidloaders. My fuel consumption has been about 30 gallons in a 8/hr day under hard use. The loader does not smoke at all and at 6700 hours on it she is still strong unit. I gues my opinion as to wether or not a machine is gutless is dependant on what type of operator is in the seat. If you are into powering into a hard dig and then coming right on through well then I will say they maybe.......the one thing that I would be more concerned about is not how much power it's got, but how much strain are you putting on your system. A case in point........ I was digging one day and noticed a small leak coming from the underside, after further inquiry I found it to be the supply line to the hydromotor, the formed ends had a small weep to them at the special crimp. My opinion....well .......be very wary of your lines.........they are not cheap to replace!!!

  8. #8eber2011-03-13 16:39

    i have a 78y sn 953 that the track adjuster rod is bent down. Do i have to break the track to fix that? I did order a parts manual from ebay. It doesnt look that bad of a job, but i default to the wisdom of the forum. Thanks Eber

  9. #9eber2011-03-13 18:31

    that would be a cat 953 track loader 84ish

  10. #10lgammon2011-03-13 22:19

    try to go with the 953b if you can find it, they have a lot bigger front idler bar and you get a 6 cylinder turbo instead of that 4 banger!

  11. #11eber2011-03-18 04:50

    this is my third post, maybe i can start a new thread on this. Can anybody tell me if i have to break the track to change out that track extender rod? I was abe to find the parts manual, but not a service manual on my cat 953 track loader. thanks Eber