Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953c stops tracking

Trentonp33 · 2022-12-19 17:47

So I have a 98 953c cat so basically at first my machine would kinda jump then take back off but now the machine will start to come to a slow crawl then the motor will start cutting out until I ideal it down which then the motor will start running full speed again but the machine won’t start tracking again until I turn it off and start it back up. The only code on the dash is for the park break switch out of calibration but even after recalibration it still says it’s out.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2022-12-20 09:14

    Let's start with a few basics. 1. Machine Serial Number. 2. Have you done any service work on the fuel system recently such as replaced fuel filters, etc, etc.? 3. Do you have a Maintenance Manual for it.?

  2. #2Trentonp332022-12-20 12:50

    2zn 00837 I don’t have a manual and no service done to anything recently. I bought this machine last December it would jump every now and then and a alarm would go off it stopped doing that for awhile but now this has occurred I have only put 200 hrs on still new to this

  3. #3Nige2022-12-20 13:19

    I had a look for manuals on various online sites but came up empty. You can download a pdf copy of an O&M Manual from Cat for $52 or get a paper version for $61 + S&H. https://catpublications.com/ - click Continue as Guest, put SEBU6935 in the box and click Search. The following image should appear. If you select a download you'll be able to access it within 5 minutes.

  4. #4Trentonp332022-12-20 13:31

    Okay I’ll get one of them tonight. Do you have any idea what would be a good starting point on this. Probably something like a sensor?

  5. #5Nige2022-12-20 14:01

    TBH as you say you have done nothing in the way of maintenance to the fuel system since you got the machine that's where I'd start. You have no idea when the machine was last serviced unless someone put dates on the filter elements. Until you know the basics are right there is no point diving into electronics, etc. At least that is my opinion, others may say different. I would suggest to start from the fuel tank and work towards the engine: - 1. Drain any water & sediment that might have accumulated in the tank. 2. Replace the water separator filter. Remove the filter head from the machine and check that all the small passages in it are not blocked with particles of dirt/rust/whatever. 3. Replace the two secondary fuel filters. See attached. Report back if there is any improvement. Note: You may find that the water separator is not as shown in the attachment but is a wire mesh screen in a steel bowl. In that case remove the bowl and clean both the inside of it and the screen, replace the 8H-2778 O-Ring seal #24 if it is hard or damaged, and refit everything. Whatever you do, make sure to turn the fuel supply valve off first...!!

  6. #6CM19952022-12-20 18:43

    Welcome to the Forums T33! Well you have one of the best wrenches on HEF helping you so my suggestion would be to follow Nige's advice to a T. Just my $.02 the first order of business for a used machine we purchase is to drop all the fluids and filters. I factor that into the purchase price.

  7. #7heymccall2022-12-20 22:48

    Years ago, my 953C 2ZN01777 had the fuel system modified under service letter. It no longer has the metal fuel screen & bowl, and a single spin on. It now has a 117-4089 separator and two spin on, 1R0751 and 1R0753. And, not long after that, it started having engine dying issues. Turned out that someone lost the fuel cap, and replaced it with a non-vented one. Plastic tank would suck in, and prevent the fuel level gauge from going lower, and they'd runn it out of fuel.

  8. #8Nige2022-12-21 10:57

    The Parts Manual for the OP's Serial Number shows the metal bowl, the O&M shows the separator. A photo or two would confirm what's actually on there but maybe I'm expecting too much........

  9. #9heymccall2022-12-21 11:23

    My 2ZN01777 came with the metal bowl and screen. It was dealer swapped for this.

  10. #10heymccall2022-12-21 11:27

    The single 1P2299 was swapped out for the two filters like this. As we're all of my 322B machines. It must work as I've taken 3116s in the 322Bs out to over 20k hours on original injectors and such.

  11. #11Trentonp332022-12-21 19:57

    I’m going to be going out tomorrow and starting with some new filters fuel/hyd/air/and transmission machine just rolled of 10,000hr needs all that stuff switched out anyways while I’m their going to get a sample of fluids and have them all tested for debris. Also going to check the wire harness buy the airfilter house seen people saying it rubbed thru the wire on their machine I do believe my machine has two screw on filters for fuel

  12. #12Nige2022-12-21 20:01

    Post a photo or two of your engine compartment. If it has the latest & greatest then it will have 3 elements in total as shown by HMC's posts #10 & #11 above - 1 water separator down by the front LH corner of the engine and 2 spin-on fuel filters with one being upside down on top of the other.