Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 953C Tilt Cylinder Removal

Adair Farms ยท 2015-10-06 12:35

I have a Tilt Cylinder leaking. It appears that I can remove the Tilt Cylinder lower Pin. However, to remove the pin next to the Cab, one of the Hydraulics appears to be in the way. Question?? Do I have to remove the Hydraulic Tank Cover and or the Front Belly Pan to disconnect the Hyd Hose which appears to interfere with the upper Pin Removal?

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2015-10-06 12:42

    Machine S/N prefix..? 2ZN or BBX..? If it's 2ZN machine is the S/N above or below 1750..?

  2. #2Adair Farms2015-10-06 14:06

    Nige, Sorry I did not post the Serial Number. 2ZN1260. Is the Pin lock down and Pin one piece? It appears that Pin assemble will interfere with the Hydraulic Hose when you try and Remove the Pin.

  3. #3Nige2015-10-06 15:21

    The flag on the pin at the head end of the cylinder is part of the pin assembly. The procedure simply says "remove the 2 hydraulic hoses" without being specific about exactly how they are to be removed......... If you want a copy of the procedure I can email one, just need to know where to send it.

  4. #4kshansen2015-10-06 18:31

    Looking at the picture of the cylinder and lines in SIS it does not look to difficult. Seems like unhooking the two hoses at the spot circled in red in the drawing should work fine. You might have to pull the pin out a short bit then turn it to get clearance. Just before removing any lines make 100% sure the weight of the boom and bucket is all off the hydraulic. Even then loosen the lines slowly and if any oil comes out let it leak till there is no pressure in the lines. If you put the hoist into float and work the tilt cylinder in and out a little you should be able to see a point when the linkage attaching it to the bucket is loose. Looks like this machine may have a bucket positioner and kick out mounted to the tilt cylinder that will need to be removed. One bolt maybe at the forward pin and maybe four bolts holding the assembly to the cylinder. Keep an eye out for possible spacers when removing bolts. SIS says cylinder weight 300 lbs.

  5. #5Adair Farms2015-10-06 20:10

    Nige, Please send a copy of the procedure to [email protected] . Thanks for your help!

  6. #6clintm2015-10-06 20:41

    why don't you just take the head off of the barrel if the inside of the barrel is not scarred you don't have any thing to do to it. just have to be careful when reinstalling it back together that you don't cut or pinch the seals. I've don't it before on a 963 6z

  7. #7Adair Farms2015-10-12 21:13

    clintm, If I remove the front pin Assembly, Hydraulic Line attached to the Tilt Cylinder Head and the Cylinder Head, Will the Rod Assembly just slide out of the Cylinder?

  8. #8clintm2015-10-12 22:27

    it should you will have to a least loosen the other hyd hose so it can be pulled out. have something to catch the oil in there will be a good bit make shure that you have the barrel supported good and the rod rigged good and it doesn't swing out and hit the top of the z-bar cause it will damage the chrome on the rod.just be careful when reinstalling it into the bore that it's nice and square or it can cut the new seals and make sure to oil them up. If I remember correctly I may have stood the barrel straight up that way could just pull the rod straight up and then let it straight down in the barrel. it's been years since I done it on a cat track loader maybe somebody will chime in thats done one recently.

  9. #9Bruiser262015-10-16 08:09

    Yeah like Clitmn says take the rod end loose and prop it up with a block remove head loosen the line and pull it out. Comes out hard and goes back in harder. I have done this a few times two people it's not a big deal. Also when I install the new seals I size them with a piston ring compressor it will take a few bumps with a sledgehammer for the rod to go back in.

  10. #10Bruiser262015-10-16 08:14

    Them Bumps with the sledgehammer is on the end of the rod not the piston. Just lube good and go straight.

  11. #11Adair Farms2015-10-18 21:27

    Thanks ALL, I do not have the Strength or equiptment to handle the 300 lb Tilt Cylinder or tools to insure I will not damage the piston rod to remove the large Nut on the end of the rod. I gave up called the local CAT dealer to removed the Cylinder, replaced the seals, and installed the Cylinder on the Machine. Machine is back up and running!