Ive been trying to figure out this issue for a couple years now. Have a Cat 953C 20Z00768. Over the last couple years the transmission would get hot after a couple hours of use. Eventually got quicker and quicker to getting hot. I was using it to move clay long distance so figured that was kind of the case. Changed the filter last year. Not long after had to do a head gasket on the engine. Once that job was complete the transmission light comes on as soon as you start the engine and stays on flashing constant. Odd thing the alternator light is flashing some to now seems to be right as its warming up then goes away. Machine runs and drives fine. Last night I checked fluid when it was running at idle. Not much was showing so I added 10W. Then drove it around some and still the same light flashing. I have never completely drained the trans fluid if that matters much. It's not very dirty. Seems kind of odd at this point it would read hot as soon as I start it. I haven't washed the radiator or trans cooler yet that's my next thing to try. I have a parts manual and operators manual. No service manual since they are 5-600 dollars. If anyone has any ideas I'm willing to try. I really don't want to play the ignore the light game. I also had a thought if maybe I stepped on the trans temp sensor when I did the head gasket. I dont know where it's at, at the moment but something to look at too I would think.
How about diagnosing the electrical system to eliminate the possibility of a dodgy sensor/wiring.? I'll send you the electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your messages. EDIT: scratch that. There is no schematic. The transmission temperature sender is located on the bottom of the transmission case as per the illustration below. Sorry it's the best I can do.
Don't you believe in preventive maintenance.? The recommended oil change interval for the 10W oil in the transmission is every year in your type of application. It would be really worthwhile to change the filter (at least) and cut the old one open to check for particles. See this Video for how to do it. It is an easy way to see if there is something wearing in the system. That would be the next step if you come up empty on the electrical system.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll start diagnosing the electrical. If all checks out I'll wash out the radiator/ cooler and probably put new fluids in with another new filter. I should really see if I have the filter I changed from last year still and cut it open. I'll post back if I find anything.
I'd recommend checking the transmission oil cooler for any blockages. Sometimes, debris can accumulate and restrict the flow of the cooling fluid, causing the transmission to overheat. Also, it might be worth checking the transmission oil pump. If it's not working properly, it could lead to inadequate oil pressure, which in turn could cause the transmission to run hot. Lastly, I agree with the others about the importance of regular preventive maintenance. Draining and replacing the transmission fluid can help remove any contaminants that might be causing the overheating issue. Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress!
To the OP. BTW you don’t have a 953C, instead you have one of the earliest 953’s on the planet, an “A” model if you will.
Thank your for correcting me on that.
No worries. It foxed me a bit when I first went looking for information and couldn’t understand why I couldn’t find it. Then I looked somewhere else and the penny dropped.
Also check all your exhaust is leaving by way of the exhaust pipe. Every few years they burn holes in the exhaust and that will cause it to build up heat because it goes threw the radiators
That's a good point. Since I just did the head-gasket I should double check all that. I wouldn't think this would cause an issue upon first starting the engine though? Trans light is flashing instantly. I didn't get to it this last weekend. I'm thinking this is more of an electrical issue. But im going to service the trans while the cab is up. Clean the radiator. All cheap insurance. Thanks everyone.
If you want to thoroughly clean the radiator my suggestion FWIW would be to remove it. There is so little access that cleaning it in place I think would be almost impossible, especially considering the fact that the coolers are bolted up to one side of it. Attached the R&I procedure for the radiator & guard. All the separate pieces can be split once the unit is on the ground.