Wiring is all messed up, was wondering if any of you Gentlemen would have a wiring diagram for it?I would greatly appreciate it
Not much wiring on that machine the old parts books used to have one in them all you need is power to switch wire to starter solenoid wire from switch to glow plug harness bat to regulator and wire from regulator to field and armature to generator
Someone on here certainly has a old dusty book for your machine, on a shelf somewhere. Meanwhile, as they try to locate it, tell us a funny story about your 955H. Welcome to the HEF.
A serial number would help, because it ID's the machine precisely. A lot of people quote a year of build for their machine that is wrong. Meantimes, here's an online EPC that is for the 60A series 955H, built from 1960 to 1966. WIRING DIAGRAM--24 Volt System 955H TRACK LOADER | AVSpare.com spare.avspart.com
As commented above. A Serial Number will identify the appropriate Parts Manual. The wiring schematic (such as it is) will be in said Parts Manual. There should be one on eBay or similar.
Thank you All for your help and Answers, I greatly appreciate it!
With a machine as old as a 955H there will be limited support in the online system. If you go looking for parts, especially to a dealer, then having Part Numbers will be essential IMO if you want to get anywhere. That means you need a Parts Manual. As per what I posted above, the Serial Number of the machine will enable the correct manual to be identified. If your machine is a 60A-prefix as @OzDozer suspects then there are 3 different Parts Manuals (1-4999, 5000-8412, and 8413-Up) depending on the machine Serial Number.
Yes! please tell us about this machine and how you came to own it and what your plans are for using it. I think you have to post a few times to get permission to post pictures so break up your relies to get the posts up to that level then post a couple pictures of this machine!
Travis - Thanks for the "positive feedback" and your appreciation for the assistance. Unfortunately, appreciation for forum help is often lacking, so it's good to know that someone at least is grateful for the forum help.
I bought the old 955 cuz I've always been infatuated with big loaders I had a HD 6 one time had to sell it, the wine just seems to be totally messed up the wires have been cut and things have been wired together jumper wires and such trying to get it going so I can build a little bait fish pond and also going to do a lot of farm work with it, it has a magnetic switch and a disconnect switch and it start switch and on the start and then heat switch there's a blue wire I guess it goes to the glow plugs but then it' has three terminal battery leads on the bottom and two up top in the battery boxes, I'm water maybe if it was a 6 volt 4 battery system 24 volt I don't know I'm getting pretty frustrated now I got two brand new batteries in it , the heavy duty 31 batteries and it's still it makes just a click when I touch the jumper wire onto the solenoid nothing else, I appreciate all the answers and help you gave me now and hopefully I can figure this out there's a picture of the serial number too also thanks again
OK, so 60A2734 falls into the group of machines from first built up to 4999. The Parts Manual for the machine is UE034896. See this Link . At that price you can't afford NOT to have it IMO. If you want a Service Manual here's one on eBay .
If you just get a click try jumping across both big posts on starter solenoid it will spark really bad so use a old screwdriver that should just run the starter without engaging it in the flywheel if the starter spins then you have a bad solenoid on the starter. are you sure you have the 2 battery's wired up to 24 volt
Travis, what you have is a basket case. We can’t fix it over a forum. At best, offer some advice. Nobody will touch it. A dealership kid won’t know where to plug the laptop in and an experienced field tech will quickly build an invoice ten times the value of the machine. You will have to learn 12v DC the hard, painful and expensive way. Like the rest of us did, over a 40 year career. Or, toss $100 bills at it, or find a buddy that’s willing to put in the work. Sorry dude.
Well, that's a bit of a tough piece of advice. I think we've all taken on items that were pretty much basket cases, but we made them operational again. I know I seem to do plenty of them. 12V electrics of this era are simple and basic. Start with basic stuff, such as ensuring that all connections are "bright and tight". Then ensure your polarities are correct. Then ensure the wiring follows the original wiring diagram - which wiring arrangements were simple and basic. There's no electronics or PCB's to lead you astray with weird faults or internal board silicon chip failures that need laptops to sort out. Then test each item individually, disconnected from the system, so you know that item is good. Don't just presume or assume an item such as a magnetic switch or a start switch is good - test it to ensure it is. These items are not expensive to replace, as electronic components are - and they're still all readily available. It's quite possible the original batteries were 4 x 6V batteries, the parts book will show that - and this arrangement gave higher CCA capacity. But 2 large 12V batteries will work just fine in most weather conditions apart from extreme cold. The wiring is simplified with 2 batteries, it's not rocket science, you still only take the power to the system off one negative and one positive pole, you just have to ensure you have them wired in series, with the positive terminal of one battery connected to the negative terminal of a second battery. If you accidentally wire 2 x 12V batteries in parallel and only end up with 12V going to the electrical system, the engine will still crank and sound like it's O.K. - but the cranking speed is well down on what is required for starting, and the engine is unlikely to start. A simple multimeter is an invaluable tool to let you know when you have power, and what the voltage level is, at the point you're testing.
The 955H had 2 - 6 volt batteries in series under left hand arm rest and 2 - 6 volt batteries under fuel tank in back behind the door with 2 levers. You can substitute group 31's in both locations. Make sure you have them in series for 24 volts, check voltage at switch & starter. If your not in series it won't turn over. Nick
True. I may have been a little negative. Didn’t mean to get so amped up. Wait, watt were we talking about, again?
Travis, I've got an old 955H that I have had for 40 yrs. There is two switches on the dash, one for the glow plugs that "clicks" when you engage the plugs. The other switch is for engaging the starter. Be sure the terminals on the back of the switch are not all corroded and making poor contact. Remember that is a 24 volt system.
Got the part's manual ordered, Thank you for the link, it was a very reasonable price, I am no stranger to basket cases, My Boys Are always telling me that I am a junk collector but I I always tell them that I am a conasur,they always respond with a laugh, I will keep working on it till she is pushing dirt again,I appreciate all the answers and knowledge provided,, seems like a very nice group I joined,!
I have owned a 955H 60A6185 for over 30 years worked on it so much early on that I memorized the serial number. Before I bought it l went to the Cat dealership and ask about parts and availability the parts man said at the time everything on it was available. I found this to be true , but not always affordable. l have put many hrs on it hope you get as much enjoyment and work out of yours as I have mine. l was grading out for a shop and liked about 12” being on grade and hit this rock it took me several hours to roll it out, l have pushed lots of trees and big rock. A strong machine.
I hope it works good for me, when she gets running, she is a big machine, with the turbo on it should make it a powerhouse, I hope I get much enjoyment out of mine like you did yours, Thank you for your input, I appreciate it
Mine has the disconnect switch on the side too, I have a manual ordered for the electrical on it, Hopefully I can get it wired up, the wires are all messed up but I think it will work out, Thank you for your input and help
Thank you for your help and input, I appreciate it
LOL, Thank you for your help and input
I had tried to post a picture and it didn’t work so will try again
Now that is a Massive Rock, powerhouse, thanks for sharing¡!!
I'll match your rock, with my rock! - which my 930 actually lifted and carried! LOL
My 955 isn't running yet but I'm rock envious lol!! Thanks for sharing!!