Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 955 12A

All442muscle ยท 2016-10-31 19:56

I am new to the forum but have lurked on ACMOC as well. I have some experience running dozers and ford backhoes doing similiar work but I thought I would ask for some thoughts on a piece of equipment I am looking at. A little backstory on my situation, my wife and I purchased 45 acres of land in Tennessee. We will need to cut in trails and also cut in a home building spot for our log cabin by clearing around 3-4 acres. It is pretty heavily wooded but most tree's are 8-10 inches in diameter. I have read that for what we need to do, a crawler loader is a good "all around" machine to have. Time is not a concern, we will be working on this project over the next few years. I found this older Cat 955 close to our property and was wondering what everyone thinks, I havn't had a chance to look at it in person but it doesn't look used and abused, runs and operates as it should and the under carriage doesn't look terrible from the pictures (would want to look at it more closely in person). It is also a glow plug, electric start 12A not a pony motor. They want $4k Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Nick

Replies12
  1. #1bam19682016-10-31 22:19

    I don't have any experience with 955's of that vintage. It looks pretty straight and if it runs and operates as it should it looks like a decent deal to me. $4K doesn't buy you very much in this game. Just my $.02

  2. #2Welder Dave2016-11-01 00:12

    It looks OK but the tracks are too tight. Does the dealer have some other loaders to choose from?

  3. #3Cmark2016-11-01 01:17

    Something weird going on with the tracks as well. The chains look OK but it looks like the pads have been bolted on back to front

  4. #4Old Magnet2016-11-01 11:31

    They are a good machine if not abused and that one looks like it's led a good life. Appears to be an early s/n before the change to D6 undercarriage. Lots of parts interchange with the D4 6U/7U models. I'm sure it will do the job for you.

  5. #5All442muscle2016-11-01 18:37

    Thanks all for the responses. @welderdave: there are some other loaders available @Cmark: I am sorry I do not know a lot about the track pads...what makes them seem backwards? @OldMagnet: I have seen your name a lot on this forum and ACMOC, I appreciate the feedback. How can you tell it is a D4 vs D6 carriage? Do you know how difficult it would be to add a third valve to this loader? I have heard there is already a spot for the third valve in the hydraulic manifold you just need to run a supply and return line to a remote valve? Also any issue with this loader having dry steering/brakes? it may sit from time to time. Thanks! Nick

  6. #6Old Magnet2016-11-01 19:45

    Easiest way to check undercarriage without going into a lot of detail is to check s/n. If it's above 12A5793 it will have the larger D6 undercarriage. 12A's have the oil main clutch and dry steering clutch which use the sintered bronze discs that are less likely to stick. Yes, the hydraulic control unit has an external jumper manifold that can be removed to add a third valve for ripper, scraper, scarifier, etc. Only down side is, as on most loaders, they are a pig to work on any of the internals.

  7. #7Cmark2016-11-01 20:19

    Track pads are directional. The lip on the pad that curls inwards should point to the back of the tractor when the pad is on the floor and be at the boss-end of the link. Hard to be 100% from the photos, but it looks like they are on wrong.

  8. #8Old Magnet2016-11-01 23:06

    Hard to tell from the pictures but the lowest pad lip should be over the pin boss traveling in the forward direction.

  9. #9Nitelite2016-11-01 23:41

    Be advised, Worn rails and sprockets cause tooth jumping. To minimize tooth jumping the tracks are ran banjo tight, but the track life will be shortened. I am in Tennessee, the Nashville area. I agree, the machine looks good as far an a picture, if the machine will start, run, and push dirt it is worth $4000.00. You can't buy a decent older Ag tractor for that kind of money. Once you own it, it could become a money pit real fast though. IMHO, if I could not do the wrenching on it myself, I would not buy it. For a taste of reality see the thread - 951-C in my sights and also Boone's thread - My first track loader. No regrets here and I am sure Boone would say the same but we are capable and don't mind wrenching. Tip, If you own 45 acres in Tennessee, put it under the green belt law as timberland. Register the timber farm and get a farm number, then file for tax exemption with the State. If your place is under the greenbelt law that fulfills the qualification for lower property taxes and tax exemp status, then you can buy the machine and any needed parts tax free. With the tax exemption you can buy off road fuel from CO OP.

  10. #10Dickjr.2016-11-02 00:50

    I've looked at this several times. Looks like the rails are on backwards. From my experience , if you buy it for 4 grand , get ready to spend 4 more or more. It does look nice and straight. You might consider buying a newer machine in hopes of no problems then sale and recoup your funds. Tough call.

  11. #11All442muscle2016-11-02 20:43

    @nitelite, cmark and oldmagnet, I will definitely look at pads closer when I inspect it, would this have grease tensioners or screw type? I don't mine wrenching on it, I already have a M35a2 and a10 ton military crane for maintenance purposes on whatever I purchase. @nitelite - thanks for the tip about the greenbelt law I will definitively look into that!

  12. #12Old Magnet2016-11-03 13:12

    Early units have standard screw adjustment, grease units are optional.