I have a seized top roller on a 955k that is being stubborn for removal. I have removed bolts in bracket and applied copious amounts penetrating fluid over last week or so, beat with a hammer and tried pry bar several times with no luck. It seems shaft of roller is rusted inside bracket. Would I be able to disassemble roller and pull parts off instead by starting at outpost point. Also, are bearings pressed on? Any help is appreciated. TC
Looks like this may be a replacement: 5A8374 Top Roller Fits Caterpillar (Fits CAT) - Free Shipping!! | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 5A8374 Top Roller Fits Caterpillar (Fits CAT) - Free Shipping!! at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com Porto power against the tractor body bearing directly onto the roller shaft while heating the bracket. Most of those mounts I've seen are split so a large cold chisel driven into the gap with the clamping bolts removed will allow a bit of spread. Once it starts moving it should slip out fairly easily.
Thanks 1693. I have the replacement part, just need some ideas for removing the old roller.
Slack the tracks right off. Use a jack or something similar to get some clearance above the roller mounting bracket. Remove the two clamping bolts completely then drive a slim wedge into the split from the top. That should give you enough clearance to be able to smack the roller shaft out.
Thanks 1693 and Nige. Made it back to farm this morning with a cold chisel. That did the trick. Roller came right out. Now to get chisel out. RALaIn into another issue. The pins on each side of roller shaft did not come out of bracket when removing old roller. I tried vice grips but no luck. The pins on the new roller appear to be a little smaller than ones stuck in bracket. Should I cut of pins flush and drill into bracket or cut off pins on new roller and drill larger holes for old pins to fit? See pics
I would leave it in until you install the new roller. To remove the dowels heat them red hot and allow them to cool a couple of times.
Welding nuts on the dowels may be another option and allow you to turn them. The quick heat from welding should expand and then shrink the dowels. Similar to removing broken or seized bolts.
I've successfully drilled the dowels out of the support before (done carefully, starting with a perfectly central indent from a centre punch, then starting with a small drill, and then going to progressively larger drills). They get very corroded, but they're not a tight fit initially.