Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 955k transmission input seal leak

Tom955k ยท 2015-07-11 14:39

I recently purchased a Cat 955k loader. After a few hours of use, it didn't want to move. Checked tranny fluid and found that it didn't register on the stick. I could see oil on the belly pan, so I dropped it and found it covered in oil. Added 2.5 gallons of oil to the transmission to fill it up, cranked it up and watched a steady stream of oil coming from the front seal I pulled the 4 rubber biscuits and could move the transmission input flange slightly up and down. This tells me that the torque converter bearing is bad. Can I take the cover plate off of the torque converter and replace the bearing without removing the transmission? Anyone here have pics of doing this type of job? Thanks in advance for your help. I have attached a pic of the input flange and a part that was hanging on the torque converter input splines. Is it a part of the bearing?.

Replies12
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-07-11 15:26

    Looks like it is part of it. You need to take the front housing off that holds the converter. You are into a converter recondition or exchange. wear sleeves are available for the worn surface on the flange. Later Bob

  2. #2Tom955k2015-07-11 16:15

    How much oil is in that housing? How much does the converter weigh? Is this something I need to rig up a sling for or can it be removed by hand? Thanks for your help!!

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-07-11 21:59

    Need to drain the hyd tank and remove the hyd pump, trans and steering pumps. then use a come a long to lower the converter housing. Also check for steering clutch oil level high, could be clogged screen. Later Bob

  4. #4Tom955k2015-07-12 16:59

    The machine was running fine and pushing hard after I topped off the tranny fluid. I actually pushed over a large pine tree before I backed it up to start investigating the cause of the leak. Attached are images of the problem. The bearing had come apart and ruined the seal. The input shaft of the torque converter is worn also. Can that be unbolted from the converter and replaced without removing the torque converter? I would like to at least get the machine back up and moving so that I can get it to the shop where I have power and air tools. My plan would be to pull up on railroad ties to gain additional height to lower the torque converter housing if that needs to be looked at. I am looking for opinions on the best way to proceed. This is a farm machine that will be used to remove some terraces and clear a few acres to build a pond. Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2015-07-12 21:24

    Give it a shot and see what happens. It might go together. Later Bob

  6. #6Tom955k2015-07-12 22:07

    Bob, I would like to replace the input shaft of the torque converter since the bearing going bad scarred it up. Can I unbolt and replace it without removing the whole converter/case assembly? Your help is greatly appreciated!

  7. #7Bob/Ont2015-07-12 22:57

    I think you should get the machine in a better location and take the converter out. I wouldn't unbolt the front piece. Later Bob

  8. #8ruffwolff2015-07-21 14:03

    it appears the bearing has been destroyed and probably the seal? have you looked into this?

  9. #9Tom955k2015-08-07 08:23

    I replaced the bearing, race, seal, and the 4 rubber "biscuits". After roughly $300 for parts and $100 for oil, the machine is back operational!!! Now, I have to do something about the cold chisel that is driven into the track adjuster

  10. #10Bob/Ont2015-08-07 10:35

    Nice work. The failed bearing may have damaged the biscuits but if they rip up the rubber again the engine alignment will need to be done. Later Bob

  11. #11ssgtharrisbs2022-03-29 20:29

    So how long did it take and did you have to drop the converter

  12. #12Darrel Eggemann2022-06-27 09:35