I have a 1969 955K and it's about to grenade the left side final drive. Long story, short, it's too expensive to fix based on the age and condition of the machine. I am looking at a 1978 955L. I was plan on keeping the K for parts. I was told a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Is this true? I'm posting a few pics of the L. Can anyone look at them and see if there is anything glaringly wrong? I've noticed a few things. While looking at the front of the machine. It's looks like the left side cylinders may have a leak or have leaked based on the black grime on the lift arm. They claim that it has no leaks. I also noticed that some of the bolts are missing from the keeper on top of the pins for the arms? They told me that they are currently putting a new radiator in it right now. They said it needed re-cored. I was told there is some play in the pins and bushings for the/bucket and arms. They said they aren't sloppy. The undercarriage is said to be at about 50%. Steering clutches are fine. Then engine has about 7600hrs with some blow by but nothing major. They want $14,500 for the machine. I think that's a little high. Any opinions on value of a 1978 955L?
Here are the other pics.
Unless you need a second machine to keep working there is no reason not to tear down the finals and rebuild. While yes the two have a great deal of interchange base components by s/n there will be very subtle variations to engine, finals, clutches possible due to upgrades to the L and the changes in manufacturing locations. Can look absolutely the same and be as different as same models of cars five years apart. As to condition you will still be buying a thirty plus year old machine, it will have drawbacks, rails can only be determined by measuring against specs, those look to be SALT rail but there is notable wear on the running faces while the shoes appear almost new. All older machines will have minor leaks, the engine blowby would be a warning shot as rings deteriorate which could lead to a failure quick on. Buying old iron is taking a chance each and every time.
DMiller made some very good points. FWIW Currently in my area there are two 955L's for sale that I have seen recently. IIRC one is priced @ $15,000 the other is $17,500 that look to be fairly similar to the one you are looking at. Just my $.02
I just can't see putting $8500 into the machine I have right now. The engine is getting tired, the pins and bushings are sloppy and the bucket has two rust holes in it. Before I know it, I'll end up having $20K in a 1969.
Or you could buy a $14000 machine then spend the same on it as it goes down. You already noted blowby, 50% rails, had to have radiator re-cored which could mean has been run hot, evidence of leaks. All sort of subtle hints that could lead to even more cash outlay on a 9 year newer but old machine 1978 is just shy of forty years. Is your choice but is still buyer beware, you do not always get a premium product at discount prices.
you can repair the machine it is a lot cheaper that renting or buying new machine. you can pay 8500,00 for one week rent. Line bore the bucket and arms that not too bad. repair as you go to restore to good operating condition.
I bought this old 955L a year ago & have had good luck with it. We are using it on a job right now. Nice thing about the old Cats is you can still get most parts.
I thought the L had a different series engine than the K. Not sure what interchanges on them.
I think the K has the D330 engine & the L the 3304, if I have it right.