Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 955L Oil Drain

Nick323 · 2021-07-07 14:38

I am brand new to heavy equipment. I have a CAT 955L s/n 85J7605. I am wanting to change the engine oil. Where is the drain located?

Replies12
  1. #1sergioannis2021-07-07 15:21

    Ciao nella parte anteriore in basso. C'è una piastra con bulloni, lasciala cadere e sotto troverai un tappo dell'olio.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-07-07 15:42

    There is a cover plate on the belly pan that needs to be removed to get at the drain plug. Just make sure you see the oil pan. I believe it's the furthest forward cover plate. One further back is for the transmission I believe.

  3. #3Cat9772021-07-07 15:53

    I don't know just how yours is, but they can be heavy. I have one on a hinges and if you go to far it drops. I have a 4 bolter that I put a longer bolt in one corner then just swing it to the side. Best of Luck

  4. #4Bluox2021-07-07 19:47

    Should be a hole in the side of the belly pan in front of the hard bar, 9/16 socket to open valve about 2 turns. Oil drains thru hole in bottom of pan. Bob

  5. #5Dave Neubert2021-07-08 16:02

    Like Bluox said look for a hole on the side use a long extension and a 9/16 socket you can get to it from up top if side panels are removed and bucket is up should be on the left side

  6. #6Nige2021-07-08 16:09

    Might I suggest that an Operation & Maintenance Manual would be a good investment.? It appears that for your specific machine Serial Number two manuals are required. SEBU6250 covers maintenance and can be downloaded from Cat Publications for $28. SEBU5511 covers controls & operation and is the same price - $28. Attached the parts manual listing for the crankccase guard for your machine. It may be of some help to you.

  7. #7sergioannis2021-07-08 18:15

    use and maintenance cat 955l I had bought years ago .. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z5BZ8fUXbl8xPwvL1NuC2RcD2Rl4aOLw/view?usp=sharing

  8. #8AllDodge2021-07-08 18:26

    Mine is a 85J (3304 engine) and there is a plug out the side of the pan. I get to it from the side, think its from the right side Doesn't pour straight out, get a bit messy but works.

  9. #9Welder Dave2021-07-08 18:50

    Sounds like the access to the drain plug may have changed over the years. My former neighbor had a later 955K and it had a plate on the bottom of the skid plate to remove. Thought the 955L would have been similar.

  10. #10Dave Neubert2021-07-09 07:30

    you have to remove the plate to drain it but you open the valve from the side

  11. #11Cat9772021-07-09 07:42

    Is there suppose to be a pipe plug on the bottom of the valve?

  12. #12Dave Neubert2021-07-09 08:34

    No that is if you need to add a extension hose