Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 963

Lightnings Farm ยท 2018-11-25 22:43

Hello All The old farmer next door has a Cat 963 he had the final drives rebuilt and now it won't move, I am guessing they put the gears in wrong not sure how they go my self, I plan on pulling one off tomorrow and seeing if that is even possible. To me if it was moving before then it has to be something in the final drives. Any thoughts from the experts. Thanks Rod

Replies20
  1. #1Dave Neubert2018-11-26 19:13

    Does it load the engine or not

  2. #2Lightnings Farm2018-11-26 19:20

    Dave I went to look at it today couldn't get it started going to charge the batteries and try again, What he told me was starts up put into gear and nothing like its not engaging, said he didn't have this issue before the final drives were pulled, I should know more by the end of the week.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2018-11-26 19:26

    Ok if it don't load I wonder if they left out the sun gears. there is a 4-5 inch round plate held in by 6 3/8 bolts on the end of the final drive [center of sprocket pull that cover and see if the sun gear is there. also have you checked the hydrastat oil level

  4. #4Lightnings Farm2018-11-26 19:31

    Dave I'll do that while we wait on the batteries, Just suck the ass end is in water now since all that rain we had, having a hard time getting someone to pull it up on level ground for us. Ill see if we can dig it out and check on them gears.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2018-11-26 19:55

    It wont roll unless the sun gears are out or some of them had a valve and a hand pump the release the brakes . Hydrastats will not tolerate water it will clog filter and make it not move too It worries me that it is sitting in water how deep did the water get we have had a bunch of rain

  6. #6Lightnings Farm2018-11-26 20:11

    While I was there today the final drive was about quarter/half in water. I'm going to try and get over there tomorrow and see if I can get some water away by digging a hole behind it. I'll see if I can get some pictures so you could see what I'm dealing with. He hasn't had any luck with this thing, he bought it last year and had to get the engine rebuilded once they put it back in they told him his rear end was making noise so they pulled the final drives and since then wont move.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2018-11-26 20:14

    If yall can't figure it out I live in Monroe and can make a service call if needed

  8. #8Lightnings Farm2018-11-26 20:18

    Honestly he would probably take you up on that he's about fed up with this thing hahahha. I'll take to him tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

  9. #9Dave Neubert2018-11-27 08:34

    I sent you a message on your profile page

  10. #10sealark372018-11-27 13:52

    Do you know who did the engine work? Did the same guys do the final drive repair? Leaving a loader inoperative after a major repair leaves a little to be desired. Regards, Clark

  11. #11Dave Neubert2018-11-27 15:23

    Took the words out of my mouth

  12. #12Lightnings Farm2018-11-27 19:10

    Sealark not sure but probably not, Dave I got your number thanks, I talked to him tonight I didn't get over there today, but he said once they put the final drives back in it didn't pull or go under load, it was like it wasn't even hooked up. hopefully I can get over there in the next day or so. Also on another note if I pull the sun gears do you think we could pull it with a 100hp JD farm tractor? Thanks if we cant figure it out in a day or so he's a fair weather worker (cold, hot he don't work haha) he will probably give you a call.

  13. #13Dave Neubert2018-11-27 19:23

    You should be able to pull the sun gears they can be hard to get out they should have a hole in the end that is threaded that you can put a bolt in to pull off of or might have to rock machine. if it is on level ground you should pull it but they are heavy try to get the chain under the bucket so it lifts up as to pull. Like I said earlier see if the gears are even in there.

  14. #14Dave Neubert2018-12-01 08:23

    Just curious what you found out

  15. #15Lightnings Farm2018-12-01 09:48

    Dave Haven't been back out there yet, remember he's a fair weather worker. LOL But really this week my wife is off so I have to do her hunny do list, Ill try and hit it next week since its supposed to be 60-70 degrees. I was wondering if I get it off is it ok to text you some pictures at the number you sent me?

  16. #16Dave Neubert2018-12-01 11:15

    Yes that would be fine

  17. #17Lightnings Farm2018-12-05 19:20

    Ok update Thanks to Dave I believe I found the problem, they were no shafts (sun Gears) hooking the final drive to the Hyd motors, so the owner found them tonight, going to put them in tomorrow and hope all is good. More to follow.

  18. #18Dave Neubert2018-12-05 20:03

    May be a little tough to put in with the tracks on if it don't line up turn it one tooth at a time until it lines up. or you may have to engage the travel a little

  19. #19kshansen2018-12-06 11:27

    Just don't have fingers in the way or texting for ideas will be very difficult!

  20. #20Lightnings Farm2018-12-06 18:23

    Well just so everyones up to snuff, Dave got a call to come do a service call, LOL I thought for sure putting the shafts in and putting oil in the transmission we were golden, But nope. still wont move.