I just rescued a 1967 Case 750D track loader with a 4 cylinder A267 engine from an old mine site. It had been sitting for 27 years, but I got it running after a lot of work. Has seen its fair share of abuse, but runs pretty well considering. It looks to have a fairly new Head (different color), and I changed all the filters & flushed and replaced all the fluids (including fuel), and have run some injector cleaner through it (which definitely made it run better). I took the attached video tonight. Engine starts up and runs really rough when cold (no glow plugs), and I THINK I might hear a little knock. Once warm it idles great however, and runs pretty smoothly up until absolute full throttle. As you can see from the vid, its got a little miss on the top end, and I see sparks and an occasional flame (LOL) shoot out of the exhaust stack. Any ideas guys? I'm leaning towards dirty injectors, and this engine also has what are called "power cells" (no idea what they are). Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Your video didn't work for me. But aside from that. It could be a number of things. It is possible you have a bad injector or a sticky valve. Have you run it any length of time and brought it up to operating temperature. If it is a valve it may loosen up. An injector could cause some issues down the road though.
Fuel pump..injector nozzle...could also be lack of compression....lack of compression could be scored cylinder or bad valves....crack each injector line to see if it is a specific cylinder..
Just tried it and it worked for me Sir. Yes, I've run it a long time with no change. Have thought about taking injectors in for cleaning/adjustment/evaluation.....
Thx Sir, good advice. I guess I'll crack the lines to isolate; lack of compression would be worst case scenario in a machine this old. What really throws me is the sparks/flames; haven't seen that before (or maybe I just didn't notice).
Bad valves will do exactly that...also timing will do that....but mostly bad valves
Valve sticking ot too tight valve adjustment also....crack injectors first then remove valve cover and check
That would surprise me, because the head looks to be the freshest thing on this old gal.
Yes S Yes Sir, will do.
Sparks, flame, and popping are indictors of a valve issue as said above. It could be a rocker adjustment too tight, weak or broken valve spring, sticking valve, or a valve starting to burn up. I would definitely find which cylinder is the issue by cracking the lines at the injector individually. If you determine its valve adjustment, adjust ALL of them while your in there.
The newer head is a BIG clue, if the head was replaced they ran the valves, those valves are now seated and need to be re-ran for a first check. Old fuel, load up of carbon deposits that dried out over time and that could also explain the spark exhaust, monitor that after run the valves and if still feel the need send the nozzles out for recal.
I go with the sticking valves idea and would not go adjusting them until 100% sure. You could make it a lot worse. After you isolate the cylinder-s how do you free the valves if sticking? Will seals allow oil down the stems? Maybe spray in the intake while cranking to lube stems and them let it sit.
Sticky valves in valve guides only one way I know to remedy and that is pull dismantle the head clean the guides and stems then reassemble. Some oil always sneaks down the stems, is the lubricant, spraying into the intake will not coat enough stem to do much good and it could be an exhaust valve if sticking.
I would really like to see your video. Is there two heads on this machine or just one?. i have a 750 case track loader mine has two heads. I got lucky with mine when i got it the one of the few things that was good was the engine. If it has one new head maybe its a stuck valve tolerances are tight on a new head and if not run much or bad fuel dampness could stick the valve very easiley. Should not be to difficult to take off the head