Trying to help my neighbor with his machine. The track pops on one side depending on which way it is turning. He is sort of driving around the issue but it needs attention. just looking at it you can see the idler isnt concentric with the pin it spins on so its worn and probably tilting, causing the track to ride up then slam back into place. Are there any huge showstopping obstacles involved with taking this out and replacing it? Are they rebuildable?
There are about 20 different options of 963. Exactly which one of those are you working on.? A Serial Number would be best.
21z 2052 is the number, i think, but the above pic shows a bunch of numbers on it
The bearings are out of the idler. Bad Bob
21Z2052 it is. See if the attached is any use to you. When you disassemble you may find the bearings too far gone or major shaft damage for the idler to be repairable.
Yes that's great! I think I'm on a budget so I'll start comparing prices...
x 2 what Nige said. Get the micrometer out to measure the axle shaft. I'll bet the bearings are toast.
idler shaft snapped through oil hole on both sides, crazy...
Probably leaked all the oil out and siezed on the shaft causing it to snap.