Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 963b hydrostat issues

Cgreene · 2018-04-10 22:45

Hey! I just bought a cat 963b for tearing out trees and old farm steads. It runs great other then 2 issues. 1)the right foot pedal sticks. Sometimes you can just press hard on it and it’ll release or push on a tree and that will release it which allows you to steer. Once I get it freed up I just leave slight pressure on the pedal to keep it freed up. 2)after an hour of pushing or 2 hours of cleaning up (till the oil gets warm I’d guess) the machine seems to keep kicking back to neutral.. if I’m pushing, it will go: forward, stop, forward, stop. It seems to have good power for about 2 seconds before it stops each time and when I try to turn it will kick to neutral. But when it kicks back to neutral the right foot pedal seems to unstick if it is stuck. I’d appreciate any help possible! Thanks a ton!

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2018-04-11 00:11

    Pedal sticking is most likely a sticking linkage joint, or the pedal pivot itself. When's the last time the hydrostat filter was replaced?

  2. #2Cgreene2018-04-11 07:22

    When the pedal is sticking it’s making a weird noise, when I get it unstuck the noise goes away. I drained the hydro oil and changed the one big canister filter when we 1st got it (50 hours ago). Thanks!

  3. #3rockyg2018-06-03 18:28

    I have a 21Z just started doing the exact same thing without the sticking pedal. Did you resolve the issue? Any info would be appreciated.

  4. #4Matthew Shelton2018-08-27 13:00

    I have a 21z as well and it does the same thing after running for a few hours and temp is around 200 degrees, haven't figured it out. Let me know I'd you figure yours out or if any one knows.

  5. #5heymccall2018-08-27 13:03

    I had repeat travel issues on my 963B. Turns out the filter called for in the book was, iirc, a fire retardant filter, and absolutely hated water in the oil. Put in a different number filter and changed the oil and have never looked back.

  6. #6rockyg2018-08-27 18:38

    I adjusted the linkages and replaced the Clevis pins which made a big difference but still surges a bit when warmed up. I also had the filter changed about 50 hours ago, I might try a different filter. I’m going to check the revs on full throttle and make sure linkage wear hasn’t dropped the revs back a bit. Apparently 100 rpm can make a difference.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2018-08-29 15:43

    I have had the metal servo lines under the cover leak at the fittings they take like a metal compression ring try replacing the fittings