Hi I am very interested about the old 60's era Cat 966 loaders , the old rigid frame rear wheel steer 966's , I have searched all over the web , found a hand full of pics (not good ones either) and no information, I've been wondering what engine they had in them , how they were to operate, what they weighed and everything in between , I would love to see some pics if anyone has any , especially of one with an enclosed cab, any help would be great , thanks alot
If you are into 1/50 scale models Norscot will be releasing a model of this machine very soon
I have never been around the 966A, but have spent some time with the 922 and 944 rear steers. They were a little clumsy to operate compared to the articulated ones, but they seemed like a solid machine.
Already pre ordered two :cool2 I would figure they were clumsy , I bet it would be hard to get used to one after running an articulated one
The 966A had the D333T @ 140h.p., approximate weight 24,500lb. I spent only a very few hrs on a well used one that was loaned by the cat dealer when our 950 was down, and the main memory is that is was pretty unstable compared to the 922 and 944 on any sort of a slope. Here's a scan from a brochure of the fiber glass cabs that the early rigid's were fitted with.
Thanks for all the help , That brochure is cool , I didnt know they made side dump buckets back then
20 or so years ago i ran a 966A with worn out steering,what a nightmare to road especially w/o any brakes,and the dual ratio steering wasn't that great either
966 dogs down when lifting we've had our 966 for a few months now and it started dogging down when trying to lift a heavy weight. have you had that with yours? we changed fuel filters and the element.
we got our manual from Cramies Manuals online. very handy.
we are a professional construction machinery company.We do manufacture for mini loaders which under 2T especially for Europe and North America market. if you are interested in our products please contact with us E-mai: [email protected] Moderator Edit - this is your introductory post or what we call your "Freebie". Please read the forum rules below -
Cat 966 A Back in about 1962 when I was a Pup and just getting started working for my Cousins Outfit in NH they bought a brand new 966 with 3 yd. bucket. I'll tell you us guys where in tall cotton when we got a chance to run it. Just imagin loading a 10 wheeler with just 3 or 4 bucket fulls. Later that year I helped the shop install a Cab on it for winter work. So the Low Boy Driver loads it on and heads out with out without chaining it down as a lot of guys did in those days ( No DOT then) He went around the first corner and the thing slid off on the wet deck hit the ground made one bounce and landed upside down and flattened the new cab flat. The driver got turned around and came back to the shop he was only gone about 10 minutes and we saw him pull in and we wondered what the heck was going on. Well we soon found out. I'll tell you there was some Boo Hooing over that episode. I actually have a picture or two of the machine and would love to add them to this thread but I have not got up to the challange of learning how to load pictures here yet. Cat 236 Alaska
good thing nobody got hurt. sounds like the cab wouldn't have protected the driver. did you get it up and running after that?
Man thats a bad deal , I would imagine that was an upsetting day , I would love to see some pics , you could email them to me and I could post them if you want just let me know . I am also curious what yall did with the loader after that too
I am a new here so I have not know much I am sorry
my uncles company use to have a 966a my dad use to run it he told me that they use to drive it down the road backward if they had to go a short distance because it was easier. We use to have to dig a hole to get a full bucket of dirt. Might have not of been the most powerful machine to operate but it never quit. My dads friend has the loader on his farm it always starts and runs when ever he needs it.
i have some pics i will go dig up for you
Thanks petercat966!! That would be awesome
just found this one on the web http://amilotrading.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/1963Cat966A.jpg.w300h205.jpg
966A Caterpillar Wheel Loaders x 2 needed urgently!!! I need 966 A CAT Loaders urgently ...preferably in running condition ....if not can use for spare. Please email me at [email protected] Thank you.
not sure if these locations work for you but heres a link for two seperate 966a's hope this helps http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6893454 http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6963553 peter
I have a 966A that is running order that I might be willing to part with if you are interested, I just have it as a spare machine
yes please call me at 604-614-8965
Does any one know how the fuel consumption of the 966H compares with the older 966's
Thank you Peter.... We are in Surrey BC. The 966A you suggested are in Southern USA. the freight will be enormous. Thanks anyways. Please do let us know if you do come across 966As. Regards, alpha
Dont buy this model. As much as i really like the paint, much of the model is poor quality and not worth the money. First off, when you love the loader arms all the way up, the pistons fall out of the sleeves and they are really tough to get back in. Second off, the bucket tilt cylinders are too small and only provide yo with a short range of motion and only allow full tilt (which isnt really tilting it that much) when the arms are fully raised. Third and final, i spent about two hours trying to keep- and later on glue- the bucket tilt assembly into the boom sides... the pins fall out every time you try to tilt the bucket. Its also abnormally small in my opinion- doesnt seem like true 1/50th scale. Thats my two cents, sorry to know on it so much, but the scale model deserved it... its a really poor model. I ended up getting soo frustrated that i went on ebay and bought a 1/50th Ertl Cat 988B model- which is a GREAT MODEL! Oh and also, the lights are tiny plastic pieces that are barely held onto the loader- if youre not careful they will snap off really easily.
I bought 2 of the 966 traxcavators and I love them , I havent had any kind of problems with them , sorry yours had so many problems , mine seem to be just about perfect
Maybe mine was just a dud, glad to hear yours are working well .
that's our 944A with me and grandpa when i was prolly 4? it was our one and only loader for years till he bought a 1975 950. we still have it and it still gets used often but it's not as pretty anymore. due mostly in part to myself running it and backing into stuff. didn't have brakes so it was unavoidable. so no one really cared.
Is this the same as 966A < If yes...are you selling it...if yes ..how much and where are you at...thanks
1973 cat 980b Just keeps on ticking....
Iron man, that aint no 966A :tong ! Looks like a earlier production 980 maybe an a or b, seems a bit to small to be a 988 and the loader arms definitely make it one of the larger sized loaders, all of the early production cat loaders 966 and lower had a curved boom with different tilt setup. But yet its too old for the first implementation of the z- bar linkage thats used in the 980C. Great loader though, i bet if that thing talked it would have one long story!
Do you have the specs for this CAT ? Thanks.
HELP! CATERPILLAR 966A Wheel Loader Sales brochures & Specsheet WANTED! Who can help me with more background information or [PDF] sales brochures, specsheets and 1:1 pictures from the CATERPILLAR 966A Wheel Loader? So please help and share all the information you can find in your archives. Please send me an PM! Thanks Wouter