Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966b air in fuel system

TBGLiberia · 2024-12-12 04:20

Back in February of this year, I bought an old Cat 966b fairly low hours for the year and model. Since purchasing the machine, I have used it maybe three times at first I had a fuel pump issues so I ended up changing all the nozzles and the plungers in the pump. Then I had brake line issues which I ended up fixing now the machine is having issues with taking in air into the fuel system, I bled the fuel pump and started up again, but continues to stall out and shut down after taking in air. I’ve checked all the fuel lines no issues, in transfer pump replaced all old seals, but it keeps taking in air and stalling out, not sure what the issue is. Please any suggestions or answers could help.

Replies6
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-12-12 10:32

    I could start by putting some CLEAR LINES in place.. that’ll show u if the air is coming before or after the supply pump..

  2. #2kshansen2024-12-12 11:48

    Been a while since I worked on a 966B but I might be tempted to hook up a temp fuel line right at the gear pump from a one gallon jug to see if it makes any difference in the way it runs. Does this sound good thepumpguysc? Maybe it could be worded better?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2024-12-12 11:54

    That would be my 2nd step, once u found the air in the line.. 2nd step being “where” it’s coming from.. If u have clear fuel TO the supply pump and air AFTER the SP u know where u hafta look..

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-12-12 11:54

    I’ve also seen the hand primer causing a problem..

  5. #5kshansen2024-12-12 12:06

    You really think a hand pump could be a problem on something as "new" as a 966B?

  6. #6TBGLiberia2024-12-12 18:11

    Thanks for the suggestions will definitely buy the clear fuel lines tomorrow, also try the temp fuel line at the gear pump and see if it runs differently. As for the hand primer pump, I’ve already exchanged it for another used one.