Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966B Wiring

nevilley ยท 2019-04-02 07:17

Hi , I have a 12/24 volt orange revolving emergency light and has a cigarette lighter plug on the end of the lead. Was wondering if I cut the ciggy lighter plug off , where would be the easiest place i can wire it up... Thought I would put alligator clips on the end of the wires but to much prob to lift the seat to connect to the battery's ( or one battery). Would be good to hook the alligator clips onto something that's simple to get to ,however I am not sure where or if at all possible... Maybe easiest to get a auto electrician in....

Replies5
  1. #1DB22019-04-02 08:06

    Positive terminal on the starter would be next logical source. Make sure you put in a fuse as they are usually in the lighter adapter. Or do it a little more conventionally and install a proper switch. Again be sure to protect the circuit using a breaker or fuse.

  2. #20072019-04-02 08:10

    If your machine is 24V and the light can handle 24V run it on that voltage. Running on one batt will cause unequal charge of the battery's. Alligator clips can jump off and cause all sorts of issues. If you must connect to batterys use a small inline fuse and come out to something like a 25A anderson plug. You will find it a pain if the light does not come on and off with the ignition so better find a circuit in your fuse box to attach to like the machine lights would be better.

  3. #3kshansen2019-04-02 13:20

    If you want to have the light run all the time machine is running I think I would wire it direct to the big terminals on the starter but use an inline fuse close to the starter on the + terminal to protect for short if wire rub through. If like a good operator you turn off the disconnect/master switch anytime machine is not running you will not need a switch for the light.

  4. #4grandpa2019-04-02 15:21

    Should be fuse block on your dash, both sides of steering wheel. If they are not all used to other sources wire it into one of them.

  5. #5nevilley2019-04-02 19:03

    Thanks for that, yep, I always turn the master key off (and take it home)when finished using the loader