I have a job coming up stacking bin blocks (waste concrete blocks 2x2x6) to retain a bank. I usually lean them back some but always wonder if I'm leaning them too much or not enough. I was wondering what you guys think? I was sort of thinking 2" per block
I’m not sure. But I’m thinking it may also depend how high you will be stacking them and will the wall be straight?
I think 2" is to much, I was told by an engineer 1/4 to 1/2 inch per foot is about right and that has worked good. This was a wet spot that kept sliding so we put drains under it and put a layer of road cloth between each course so everything is tied back under the road. It has held up for about 4 years of log hauling so far. We put a little curve in it also.
Depends on soil conditions and height. I've done 8' gravity with 0 batter and one 32' MSE wall that had a ream of engineering. https://www.ultrablock.com/engineering.html
Ultra blocks are the way to go if you have them, ours are usually from the local concrete plant and are pretty random shape and size! When we do get to use ultra blocks it feel like they set themselves.
I hear you @JPV the plant blocks can be a little wobbly I did more of those than the ex-pen-sive wall blocks like Ultra. The big wall we did I hauled almost 1000 Redi-Rock units to the site. Put a few dollars in the bank on that job
We’re using ready mix blocks. It’s for a dairy farm so cost is a determining factor. I was trying to talk them into precast T or L walls but the cost was too much compared to the bin blocks. The wall will be around 140’ long and 12’ high then stepped down every 36’
Wow, that will be a dandy, hope you post some pics!
We see a lot of galvanized caged riprap along creek banks here, back stack them then back fill with local soil and seem to set reasonably well. Biggest concern is moving water, scour gets along an edge and can dump the most serious of erosion controls, need to make certain are on a decent base for set.
Back in my younger years I filled a lot of Gabion baskets building roads in the watershed. I grew to dislike filling Gabion baskets.